• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Omg...........

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
Ok so i work in a pet shop part time! I hate pet shops too but i tend to make alot of people aware of the cost of animals and give the best advice possible (most advice from RU:D) Ive sold about 2 rabbits in 2 years to people i know and i send people to the rescues and try and convince them getting a rabbit for their child is a bad idea!
Just to clear that up!

Anyway my manager (who thinks she knows everything and doesnt let anyone do anything their way, it has to be HER way :evil:) She is just an evil cow put it that way.

We have 4 8week old dutch boys in just now, While i was cleaning them out and having a play and cuddle i noticed on boy had a wet nose and i could hear his breathing very raspy :(
I called another memeber of staff (Manager not working) and she called our area supervisor! Because it was sunday the area supervisor said to wait until the morning and see how he was and if not better to take him to the vet (fair enough)

Anyway i popped in today to check how he was and she said and i quote "theres nothing wrong with him, its just the dusty hay!"
:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:
I went to have a look at him and his nose was still wet, although i couldnt hear his breathing from the outside of the cages.
Im totally gobsmacked and she says she LOVES animals :evil::evil::evil::evil:

Im going in when my manager is off to speak to the other girl (we all hate the manager) and she will let me inspect him and then call the area manager again!

Not only that but a few months ago we had 1 dutch boy in who got head tilt, it was 1 week after the bunnies head tilited before my manager said "hes ill" :roll: Then when the bunny got better and we had our vet inspection (yearly thing) she took credit for realising something was wrong when we clearly mentioned the first day and she did NOTHING!!!!

We all want her to quit or get fired but we dont know how we could do it! She bullies one girl who complained but nothing was done:?
She rubs dates of food products when out of date and when something was mentioned to head office NOTHING was done!!!!!!!

Is there any place i could phone about her behaviour and how she treats members of staff and the animals and about selling O.O.D products?

Sorry for the rant.....i F***ing HATE her and make me want to quit, but if i quit then i cant give my advice (staff members not very clued up :?)

Sorry again :oops::oops::oops:

Best thing I can think of is the record each event. Mark the date and time you told her about a health concern (or someone else told her). Explain what symptoms raised your concern. Record her response and how long it took. Then mark the outcome once their is a resolution. Then you'd be able to show her average response times to issues such as these, and how the animal really did need medical attention much sooner.

It would take some time to gather up these incidents, but after a few, I think you could make a case to the area manager, who sounds a bit more caring than your angry cow boss. :)

That's my only idea! Tough for us peons to make real changes isn't it?

(Also, I totally feel for you, because I am a receptionist at an acupuncture clinic. The other day, a patient had a facial seizure (which she has a history of) and then blacked out for 5 minutes, so I called 911, our emergency number. My boss sent me an e-mail that night (as he wasn't there at the time) and told me that the call was unnecessary and to ask his permission about such things in the future. The nerve! :evil:)

Best thing I can think of is the record each event. Mark the date and time you told her about a health concern (or someone else told her). Explain what symptoms raised your concern. Record her response and how long it took. Then mark the outcome once their is a resolution. Then you'd be able to show her average response times to issues such as these, and how the animal really did need medical attention much sooner.

It would take some time to gather up these incidents, but after a few, I think you could make a case to the area manager, who sounds a bit more caring than your angry cow boss. :)

That's my only idea! Tough for us peons to make real changes isn't it?

Thanks thats a great idea :wave: If this poor bunny doesnt get to a vet this week i think i may get someone to report it to the SSPCA and hopefully something will be done!!!

(Also, I totally feel for you, because I am a receptionist at an acupuncture clinic. The other day, a patient had a facial seizure (which she has a history of) and then blacked out for 5 minutes, so I called 911, our emergency number. My boss sent me an e-mail that night (as he wasn't there at the time) and told me that the call was unnecessary and to ask his permission about such things in the future. The nerve! :evil:)

OMG thats terrible :? Some people have no feelings at all, they will get whats coming to them though....one day :lol:

As has been said already I would record everything you see or hear, make sure you have a witness too if possible. Does your company have a grievance procedure? Then the girl who is being bullied by this woman can make a formal complaint about her behaviour and it would have to be followed up. As for rubbing sell by dates off, I personally would maybe call trading standards. Is there anyone who can get the bunny to a vet ASAP? Does it have to go through an area manager or can you just take them to the vet? Maybe offer to take him yourself? If not definately report to RSPCA and Environmental health, maybe even phone your head office and pose as an angry customer. I've done that before and believe me it worked!!

As has been said already I would record everything you see or hear, make sure you have a witness too if possible. Does your company have a grievance procedure? Then the girl who is being bullied by this woman can make a formal complaint about her behaviour and it would have to be followed up. As for rubbing sell by dates off, I personally would maybe call trading standards. Is there anyone who can get the bunny to a vet ASAP? Does it have to go through an area manager or can you just take them to the vet? Maybe offer to take him yourself? If not definately report to RSPCA and Environmental health, maybe even phone your head office and pose as an angry customer. I've done that before and believe me it worked!!

Dont know about the company grievance procedure.....The girl did complain and was told to talk to my manager about it :?
Sell by dates being rubbed off i dont have proof, i would have to have someone with me when she rubbed the dates off (although not seen her do it in a while so i hope she isnt thinking about it again)

Im going in tomorrow to see the bunny (i named him Charlie although i shouldnt have, now i want him :oops:) if nothing is getting done i will phone head office to tell them i think the bunny needs seen to by a vet if nothing gets done by the end of the day i will phone the SSPCA and Enviromental health. All animals needing vet treatment has to be authorised by Our big boss Lady at Head Office!

Thing is if its snuffles the bunny has its contagious isnt it? so the others will no doubt be affected also!
Ive had a few friends write letters about bunny welfare and why pet shops shouldnt sell livestock but they were ignored!
I think its time to find a new job and get out of that place for good!!!

Poor little bunny.My Beebee has snuffles at the mo.Just a thought...Know any vet nurses??Could one pop in to the shop and say that shes spotted a bun with a contagious illness and get something done??or just a mate that can pretend shes a vet nurse or something??(Apologies to vet nurses for suggesting you guys be impersonated.All due respect to you guys).
Woman sounds like a total waste of space.Its all about :censored:money these days.Makes me spit.Rant over!!!xx

Dont know about the company grievance procedure.....The girl did complain and was told to talk to my manager about it :?
Sell by dates being rubbed off i dont have proof, i would have to have someone with me when she rubbed the dates off (although not seen her do it in a while so i hope she isnt thinking about it again)

Im going in tomorrow to see the bunny (i named him Charlie although i shouldnt have, now i want him :oops:) if nothing is getting done i will phone head office to tell them i think the bunny needs seen to by a vet if nothing gets done by the end of the day i will phone the SSPCA and Enviromental health. All animals needing vet treatment has to be authorised by Our big boss Lady at Head Office!

Thing is if its snuffles the bunny has its contagious isnt it? so the others will no doubt be affected also!
Ive had a few friends write letters about bunny welfare and why pet shops shouldnt sell livestock but they were ignored!
I think its time to find a new job and get out of that place for good!!!

A grievance procedure is worth looking up. If you have a staff handbook it should be detailed in there.

That must be really frustrating for you having to have a vet trip authorised. Hopefully your HO will have more compassion towards Charlie than your wicked witch boss seems too. If it is snuffles it is contagious sp any bunnies that have been near him will need observing for symptoms. If we ever get a bunny with snuffles they go to the vet immediately and all the bunnys are quarantined

Back