• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Excel mature pellets

Jazzy B Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
Just got a trade mag through at work today and excel were advertising their new packaging and they also had cranberry flavour mature pellets! does anyone know much about them or if they are avalible?

I wrote to them asking for a sample and they said they were going to send me a sample once they get their stock in a couple of weeks. Will let you know then.

Im still thinking about changing mine to excel rather than A&P but not sure! Its just i dont get through the full 20kg before the BBD and waste more than half the bag sometimes!

Im still thinking about changing mine to excel rather than A&P but not sure! Its just i dont get through the full 20kg before the BBD and waste more than half the bag sometimes!

I have a lot of wastage with A & P. I get a small bag from my local farm shop and its about £1.50 I never use it all though.

I'm in the middle of changing Barney and Bubbles from Pets at Home to the Excel Mature. Barney is 6 and sometimes gets UTI's and he's a bit stiff so i thought these would be perfect for him as the cranberry helps with urinary tract, glucosamine for his joints and ginseng so I though they would be perfect for him. When they are completely on them I'm going to keep a chart of the frequency of his infections, how stiff he seems and if his weight changes. I can let you know my findings if you like?

The 'new' Excel pellets have exactly the same amount of crude fibre as the original adult SS pellets ie. 19%. Excel's 'beneficial' fibre is 39% but SS assure me their 'beneficial' fibre is 55% so still more than Excel's. When I wrote to SS to ask them about their fibre content and the claims of the new Excel, they not only explained it all (see below) but also sent me a free 2kg bag of mature pellets!!!

SS mature has a fibre content of 22% so I'm swapping all mine onto that. It might be expensive but as they all get only a tablespoon (or less) per day, a 2kg bag lasts me ages.

This is the e-mail I received from SS (quote).....

Thank you for your e-mail regarding fibre declarations of our Selective Rabbit and also the Burgess Excel.

I am aware, and have seen the new declaration on the new Burgess packaging, however this is likely to lead to some confusion.

Firstly, please be aware that there are various different types of analysis for determining the fibre content of a product:

1) Crude Fibre

2) Neutral Detergent Fibre (NDF)

3) Acid Detergent Fibre (ADF)

Dependant on the analysis method used the result will differ.

In accordance with petfood legislation, the amount of fibre a manufacturer declares on their packaging must be the crude fibre content, for which as mentioned on our bags of Selective Rabbit, is 19% and only 16% for the Burgess Supa Rabbit Excel product.

However, as per the list above, there are different forms of analysis (NDF & ADF) which will give higher readings, as these analysis methods retain more of the different fibre types such as cellulose & hemicellulose. When comparing a fiber content of a food, for obvious reasons it is only fair to compare the content based on the same analysis method (ie. Crude Fibre), and I believe that the elevated level that Burgess are now claiming (39%) is that from analysis conducted under the method of NDF, however they are simply calling it ‘Beneficial Fibre’ which is only going to cause confusion.

Please be advised that under analysis for NDF our Selective Rabbit Maintenance diet has on average 16.8% more NDF than the Burgess Excel, therefore whichever fibre content you would like to compare, our Selective Rabbit diet still comes out top. However the reason we do not declare our NDF content is due to the obvious confusion that this would cause to pet owners.

Unquote

So SS is definatly better then, I was just looking for something a little cheaper but just as good :oops: My buns go nuts for the mature ss but it something like £8 for a 2kg bag so at the moment im just buying sample packs to use as a treat.

So SS is definatly better then, I was just looking for something a little cheaper but just as good :oops: My buns go nuts for the mature ss but it something like £8 for a 2kg bag so at the moment im just buying sample packs to use as a treat.

My local pet shops getting some SS Mature 2kg bags for me and I was quoted a RRP of £5.99 a bag. IMO, I wouldn't worry too much about whether you want to feed Excel, SS or any other decent quality rabbit food. They eat so little of it that as long as both you and your buns are happy with it, a % here or there of extra fibre should make much difference.

I'm in the middle of changing Barney and Bubbles from Pets at Home to the Excel Mature. Barney is 6 and sometimes gets UTI's and he's a bit stiff so i thought these would be perfect for him as the cranberry helps with urinary tract, glucosamine for his joints and ginseng so I though they would be perfect for him. When they are completely on them I'm going to keep a chart of the frequency of his infections, how stiff he seems and if his weight changes. I can let you know my findings if you like?

That'll be interesting. Keep us updated, as it's always handy to have some feedback if customers ask.

Back