• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Osteomyelitis or Abscess

kgattrell

Alpha Buck
Can some one tell me the difference between these two (osteomyelitis or abscess) or are they the same thing with a different name

Thanks

Osteomyelitis Is when an absess has gone into bone:( This happened to one of my rabbits he had terrible dental problems

Osteomyelitis is infection involving bone.
An abscess is infection in soft tissue. Depending on the location of the abscess it can progress to osteomyelitis. For example a tooth root abscess can lead to osteomyelitis in the jaw.

So the abscess has developed into osteomyelitis, thanks that makes more sense now as I was sure the vet had said he had both conditions. You know whats its like you get so worried you forget what they had said..Thanks for helping me understand things a bit clearer now

So the abscess has developed into osteomyelitis, thanks that makes more sense now as I was sure the vet had said he had both conditions. You know whats its like you get so worried you forget what they had said..Thanks for helping me understand things a bit clearer now

Is your Bun receiving pain relief aswell as antibiotics?
Osteomyelitis is painful.

The abscess was under his chin, he's had part of it removed 70% and the remaining 30% has been packed with anti-biotics and the wound sewn up. Hes had two pain relief injections and he started to eat normally yesterday - god what that a relief -
He's starting his injections which are every 3 days for nine day's on Thursday, the vet said she's not 100% sure its in the bone but it was bigger than she thought it would be as she was sure it was only soft tissue at first but they are gonna treat it as if it is.
I am a nervous wreck at the moment just keep bursting into tears, he's my baby and I can't lose him yet. He's only coming upto two and hes had so much strife already with having to have his teeth bured then finally removed and a faulty tear duct.
I just gotta try and stay positive, this forum is a great help so thanks for all the help everyone has given me as my mum just says its only a rabbit, no one else understands..

I am glad Yoshi is eating properly now, I am sure the pain injections helped. Do you know on what antibiotics is he on? I keep my fingers crossed for him!

Not yet I'll check on Thursday what anti-biotics he is on, thanks cherryredcutie
x

Is Nosey still doing well on his anti-biotics, how often does he have to have them

Hi!

Yes, he is still doing well on his antibiotics, he went for a checkup last Tuesday and there is still some bone swelling which might not go away completely but at least the abscess is gone! I am really relieved. He gets Engemycin 10% injections every 3 days and they have worked well to get everything under controll. Sending healing vibes to Yoshi :)!!!

Back