• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit had babies help asap

for the last few days my rabbit has been pulling her hair out and now is a nest and she has got babies i looked and seen 1 little back 1 i have came back home and now she has coved the nest and i cant see it she dont go in there unless i try and look i am really up set i have only just got my new rabbit they told me it was a boy :(

Oh no! Did you buy the bunny from a petshop? Unfortunately this happens alot. You can go and complain to the shop and they usually give you bedding and more food etc since its their mistake.

Hopefully someone will be along soon with some advice about what to do with babies!

So she hasn't been accidently bred with a boy of yours?
If she has remove the lad :wave:
There is conflicting advice on this kind of thing, but i'd personally leave her for a few days, figure out her temperment and then decided whether to have a peek at the babies.
Before you do this make sure you rub your hands in soiled bedding to leave the mother's scent on them.
I'd leave her for the moment as they are newly born and you don't know her temperment very well, she may decide to kill them.
Best of luck, hopefully better advice will pop a long in a minute.
Xx xx

Last edited:
I have some experience with baby bunnies so if you've got any questions just ask.

Covering up the nest is completely natural behavior. She does this to keep the babies warm. To check on the babies just gently remove the top layer and put it back. (If the mother protests while you do this, just take her out while you check on them.)
If the rabbit is friendly enough you can pick up the babies and see if their bellies are nice and round. (Rubbing your hands as mentioned in won't hurt.)

The mother will most likely care for her babies herself. Don't be afraid if you never see her nurse them, she only does this once or twice a day and rarely while you're watching. As long as the babies don't look to skinny they are fine.
You don't have to do much other than make sure she gets enough food, fresh hay and water.
If a baby strays from the nest, just put it back into the nest, as the mother will not lift it herself, and it could risk freezing to death.:(

The babies will start moving out of the nest on their own when they are 2-3 weeks old, by this time they will also start eating.
They eat whatever their mother eats, but as baby rabbits have even more sensitive tummies than adult ones, don't start giving them greens or vegetables unless the mother was already used to this while nursing them, as it could cause them to get the runs which can be fatal for a little bun:(

At six weeks most of the babies should be weaned and no longer Dependant on their mother. But they should not be moved from their home cage. Some choose to remove the mother at this stage and let the babies stay together till they are 8 weeks, I just let the mother stay with them.
At 8 weeks they are ready to go into new homes.

If they're not rehomed within 10 weeks they will need to be separated by sex so they don't start breeding with one another or their mother. Males will most likely need their own cage when they are 4 months as this is the time they usually start to fight (unless they are neutered as soon as possible).

Ok the mother is defending the babies if she is going in when you go near. She may be trying to warn you off. My advice is do not disturb her. Leave it a few days and then check when the mother is distracted from the nest to see if there are any dead babies. Fingers crossed there is not. Make sure you have touched the mother and rubbed under the chin to get as much of her scent on your hands as possible. If the mother is outside quickly pull the fur away and count the babies (move any if needed) once counted and there are no dead ones put any moved ones back and put the fur back over them. If there are any dead ones remove them but i believe the mother will move any dead or dying babies out of the nest or away from the other babies so it is a good sign if all babies are together.

Now all you really need to do is feed mother twice as much hay maybe more depending on how quickly it goes, we gave greens as well. Now you have to wait about a week maybe do quick checks every other day but again get the mothers scent and do it when she is away from the nest. By 2 weeks the babies will be moving in the nest a lot. We started to handle at this time. Still getting mothers scent and using both hands to cup one at a time we took and showed mother so she did not panic and she was fine as long as you have her scent she will be fine. From here we did this once a day then increasing to twice a day. I hope this advice helps. I've left it at this as it is a lot to take in and there are better people to explain it who can help with the rest. Hope everything goes ok.

Back