• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

litter tray vs hay box

Rachie

Mama Doe
So I have a two buns now. I've had Olly since November and Ebony came home on Saturday.

I made a post last week about Olly being very naughty and weeing everywhere he shouldn't so I was expecting to start litter training from scratch with both of them.

I started off with the litter tray and a little bit of hay on the bathroom floor for them to munch on. All went well, both of them were using the litter traying to wee and there were a few stray poos but nothing too bad. Too good to be true I thought so I introduced the box for them to eat their hay from this morning but then they've ignored the litter tray and starting using the hay box as the toilet.

ETA: I've taken the hay box away and put the hay back on the floor and they've gone straight back to the litter tray.
Any advice or thoughts on this?

Last edited:
Hi this is quite usual as buns like to go to the toilet and eat at the same time, I put a bit of sawdust in the bottom of the itter tray and then hay on top and they quite happily eat and use it a a loo.

So would a better idea for me to do would be to line the hay box with litter then pop some hay on top? :idea:

Just line tray with newspaper and loads of hay on top for a litter tray, no need to buy expensive shop bought litter at all.

I change it twice a day.

Yes, I've just realised the error of lining the box with litter, it takes nearly a whole bag :shock:

I quite like the litter as it doesn't seem to smell too much and its uber easy to clean. Is cat litter any cheaper? But then again I don't know which is safe to use with buns and which isn't

ETA: Any idea what I do with 4 litter trays now? :lol:

Back