• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets being sold- awful conditions

Bea & Floss

Mama Doe
Hi everyone, i stumbled across an animal place calling itself the ****** petcare centre today. They were advertising rabbits,guinea pigs,chincillas,ferrets and various other pets for sale.

I was curious so popped in to have a look. I came out feeling sick. They had loads of buns and pigs in the tiniest of hutches(probably 2 1/2-3ft )stacked on top of each other in many rows. The place was swarming with flies and the hutches were flithy with about 1 inch of poop lining the floor.

It was the buns i felt most sorry for, they filled the whole of the open bit of the hutch and didn't have room to hop or stand up. A couple of the rabbits looked absolutely terrified as i aproached them. I just wanted to bring them all home>:cry:

I don't know what to do, is it even worth calling the RSPCA? I know they will say if they are breeding stock the hutch sizes are legal!:evil: They all seemed to have some food and water so are they breaking any laws?

Hiya

I would call the RSPCA, they may well be able to do something, and at least you know you have done something too.

Yes definitely call the RSPCA :thumb:

Whether something is done or not often depends on how good an individual inspector is, but I have heard about rabbits confiscated from breeders due to inadequate living space before. The new welfare law means that it's easier for the RSPCA to take action than it used to be

Yes definitely call the RSPCA :thumb:

Whether something is done or not often depends on how good an individual inspector is, but I have heard about rabbits confiscated from breeders due to inadequate living space before. The new welfare law means that it's easier for the RSPCA to take action than it used to be

Do you think i should just call the rspca first or go to the local authority who issue "petshop" licences?

Yes I agree.. call them - it's all you can do really.

I called them out to a carboot once - a man selling really diddy lionhead babies from a cardboard box, no water, no food, no hay, no lid to the box and in the middle of a stinky hot summer sunday! They only looked 4-5 weeks old. I have no idea if the RSPCA ever turned up - but I called them, I felt better knowing it's in their hands. But frustrated that I couldn't directly do anything (£20 per rabbit.. 5 rabbits.. £100 & encouraging the man doing it by paying for them.. so I couldn't buy them to save them no matter how much I wanted to!)

Pet care cetnres and pet shops are not allowed to have breeding stock on shop floors for public to see. This is how i got a pet shop investigated as they had animlas kept like that and breeding them on shop floor.

What awful conditions!! :( Some people have no shame :(

I worry when my buns cages are clean but untidy :oops:

Pet care cetnres and pet shops are not allowed to have breeding stock on shop floors for public to see. This is how i got a pet shop investigated as they had animlas kept like that and breeding them on shop floor.

What awful conditions!! :( Some people have no shame :(

I worry when my buns cages are clean but untidy :oops:

Are they not - I didn't know that - there is a petshop in Milton Keynes that have signs on some of their bunnies 'NOT FOR SALE - BREEDING STOCK'

Back