• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Questions about EC/headtilt treatment

Daisylop

Mama Doe
One of the rabbits my mum and dad are currently looking after was admitted on Saturday with head tilt-probable diagnosis of EC.The other bunnies have been started on Panacur,but a 9 day course,is this enough if they have been in close proximity to a rabbit with confirmed EC? or should it be 28 days?
When the bunny comes back from the vet what should it come back with-Panacur [obviously],28 days or 6 week course?
Should it have Baytril daily,metacam or another anti-inflammatory?Would a probiotic be helpful? I've read plenty about EC on here but have never nursed a bunny with it.I just want to give the best [correct] advice to mum and dad.
I forgot to add that one of the other rabbits has got 4 week old kits,they dont get Panacur do they?
Thanks,Lesley :)

Personally I would do a long course for any rabbits that have been in contact with an EC positive rabbit. Don't try and get it off the vets as they will be expensive. Go to the vetuk.co.uk website where it is a lot cheaper.

Sorry to hear about your bunny. I did a six week course of panacur for both my bunnies to be on the safe side when one of them had head tilt. I now do a 9 day course every three months. When he was treated he had an anti inflamatory injection and a course of baytril and I used Avipro priobotics at the time but didn't have fibreplex then. You might need some recovery food just in case as well.

Yea Smog had anti-inflammatories.. it helps reduce the swelling in the brain - which causes the central nervous system damage (difficulty using back legs being one of the symptoms) She also had a steriod to encourage her appetite, and antibiotics.

Care wise, make sure any rabbits she is with do not bully her.

Make sure her house/hutch is safe for her - with headtilt as their balance isn't good. So be sure she can't lose her footing and hurt herself on ramps etc.

Depending on how bad her head tilt is, her lower eye may weep, so keep this clean with salt water solution and cotton wool.

It is really a case of watching and making sure she gets on in her environment ok - if not adjust it to suit her needs.

And I definitely agree to make sure all rabbits in contact with her or any area she has urinated, to be treated with 6 weeks of panacur. As for the kits, I am not sure how old they have to be for panacur treatment, but if you ask your vet or contact http://www.intervet.co.uk/Products_Public/Panacur_Rabbit/090_Product_Datasheet.asp they may be able to tell you - there is nothing on their data sheet to state minimum age for dosage.

Back