• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am i being cruel to my buns?

Kellyrich

Warren Scout
Ive been worrying a bit lately about Barney and Dexie since we got Stan as we have to keep them separated from each other and alternate the times that they can have out with us etc and its starting to worry me and im hoping that Barney and Dexie are ok. This is what we do, do you think i am being fair to them all? Honest opinions please as i want the best for them.

Stan has free reign of the kitchen/conservatory all day and all night, we let him into the room with us during the week at about 8pm until about 11pm but im always in and out of the kitchen to see him also. And in there with him in a morning before work.

Barney and Dexie are in our living room and are in an NIC set up which is big, they have plenty of room. They are let out to run about the house (apart from the kitchen) from 7am til 8.30am and then locked up while we go to work, then they are let out at night to run round from about 5.30pm til about 8pm when we let Stan out with us.

Obviously on a weekend when we are there this is all different but this is during the week.

Can i have your HONEST opinions pls? If you think i am being bad please tell me so i can sort out what to do!

Thanks xx

Hi,

I have the same problem. Lola used to be free all the time when we were there but is now out at alternate times with Desmond!

What we have done is barred the stairs with a stairgate so one up and one down then rotate? Not sure if that is an option for you?

they seem far happier as they love running around upstairs and then get tickles with us when they are down.

Hi,

I have the same problem. Lola used to be free all the time when we were there but is now out at alternate times with Desmond!

What we have done is barred the stairs with a stairgate so one up and one down then rotate? Not sure if that is an option for you?

they seem far happier as they love running around upstairs and then get tickles with us when they are down.

Believe me mine would jump over the stairgate to get to Stan!! Dexie gets really aggressive when she see's that Stan is running about and tries to bite through the cage, she changes from this calm chilled out bun to physco bun so i wouldnt put a stair gate there as she would just go beserk!! Its bad enough trying to keep Stan away from the NIC cage when we have him out so that she cant nip him. A bit of a nightmare really but cant think of any other way round it! :(

Why cant they all juyst be friends!! :lol:

How big is the NIC setup? Saying it's 'big' covers a lot of possibilities so some kind of approximate size would help us to think about whether it seems ok :)

I would also suggest draping a sheet, towel or similar around the edges of your setup when Stan is out in the lounge, this will lessen the likelihood of referred aggression between your bonded pair - sometimes they can start fighting with each other simply by seeing another bun so it's best to avoid if you can :)

How big is the NIC setup? Saying it's 'big' covers a lot of possibilities so some kind of approximate size would help us to think about whether it seems ok :)

I would also suggest draping a sheet, towel or similar around the edges of your setup when Stan is out in the lounge, this will lessen the likelihood of referred aggression between your bonded pair - sometimes they can start fighting with each other simply by seeing another bun so it's best to avoid if you can :)

Well im no good with sizes thats why i didnt put one but i would say 6 by 3 or4 maybe!!

Yeah the other two have started fighting a bit when they see Stan so im constantly on alert!!

YEs some of mine will start on their chum, becuase the bun they are annoyed with is out of reach. I found that even covering them - they still know the other bun is there.. but I would definitely try it.

You are doing your best for them and as long as they are all getting enough exercise and affection this is all you can do. I have the same situation and have to divide free-house-run time between buns. I feel guilty at times. But I am hopign to bond the hosue buns into a group one day.. maybe August time. Have you considered trying to bond them? Although they seem to dislike the other bun - this is territory speaking.. Our Madam hated Joey when they lived in their own pairs.. and if he went anywhere near her hutch she would go mad! But now the group are bonded - she and Joey groom eachother! So it could be worth trying? (If they are all neutered of course :D)

YEs some of mine will start on their chum, becuase the bun they are annoyed with is out of reach. I found that even covering them - they still know the other bun is there.. but I would definitely try it.

You are doing your best for them and as long as they are all getting enough exercise and affection this is all you can do. I have the same situation and have to divide free-house-run time between buns. I feel guilty at times. But I am hopign to bond the hosue buns into a group one day.. maybe August time. Have you considered trying to bond them? Although they seem to dislike the other bun - this is territory speaking.. Our Madam hated Joey when they lived in their own pairs.. and if he went anywhere near her hutch she would go mad! But now the group are bonded - she and Joey groom eachother! So it could be worth trying? (If they are all neutered of course :D)

I darent risk bonding them at the moment, Dexie is a bit physco when she sees Stan!! I tried bonding my previous giant with them both and they all seemed fine but then one day they attacked poor Dave and now hes gone to rainbow bridge so there is no way i will risk doing that again yet...if ever!! I just wish they could all be friends!! x

Back