• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do bunnies self medicate?

Boudicca

Warren Veteran
Daisy refused to eat her veggies this morning so I tempted her with a treat she still wasn't interested :shock: When I put down the fresh hay bowl and hay basket she hopped in and started munching like a thing posessed?! Her poos have been a bit smaller and a fair few stringy ones of late, I wonder if bunnies sometimes know when they need more fiber?

All animals tend to know if they are lacking a particular nutrient and what they need to eat to satisfy the need, called nutritional wisdom. I would keep an eye on her though and make sure she returns to her treats and veggies after she's finished with the hay. I wouldn't say it's anything to worry about but if it's unusual behaviour then just keep a check on her :)

Thanks! Yes I was rather worried, but she was zooming around like a loony up and down stairs. If she hadnt of eaten the hay I would have stayed with her until she ate something. It is unusual, so I will leave work early today just to make sure she is OK!

Back