• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New buny here and help needed

Kepling

Young Bun
Hey, I am new here with i bunny Trigger, an 18month old lionhead

SDC10878.jpg

He needs a friend :p

Before i get another rabbit, im gonna need to get a bigger hutch
So im gonna build one!

Im gonna try explain this to the best of my ability and i need help on
The size (is it big enough for two lion head rabbits to live for a couple of years)
The sturdiness of it (will two lions over power it or will it stay strong?)

Well, First the dimentions are 7ftx3ftx6ft and its 3 tiered but it has a 2ftx2ftx4ft hutch split into two tiers

The run/hutch start off 4ft tall but with an extra 2ft tier for summer sunbathing making it 6ft tall, both tiers have hard lumber (ive seen some home build ones with chickenwire instead) as a base but the top (as most) will be chickenwired to let sun in the frame will be 5.5 inches wide to hold the staples, the chickenwire will be half inch by half inch and at the end of the run (all three tiers) there will be 2 doors that open up (each door half the width of the hutch (1.5ft each, hutch is 3ft wide) The runs will hae special clips on them to make cleaning easy or to make the cage smaller. The hutch at most times will be attached to the run so the front will have a 2ft wooden door (unremoveable) and a 1ft mesh door (removeable to give access to the run) both lockable to be able to use with or without the run (makes for easy moving of rabbits or containing them, like before a vets vist or after) and because the run will be attached there will be two(one on each) side doors with mesh (to let light in) to make catching of the rabbit easy) to get to either hutch they will have to get up the ladder on the other side of the run (but there will be a removeable wooden plank to put a ladder if the run isnt being used) and each tier will have its own ladder (it'd be pointless if it didnt :p)

Do i need more description or is that good?

Also

After and only after ive built this will i get him a friend, i was gonna get a pet shop one but my friend just got two pet shops because rescues are 'old and ugly' and plus it'd be cheaper in the long run cause id be getting a doe and getting her spayed and rescues come ready spayed so i'd be better for me, if anyone knows any lionhead rescues feel free to PM me

Hiya - your bunny is VERY cute !

I'm struggling to understand your dimensions - but that may just be me :oops: What I did want to say is that chicken wire is not fox proof and I would recomment aviary mesh - the stongest you can get. Also ensure that you attach the mesh from inside and use a heavy duty gun or hand hammer in 'u' tacks.

Perhaps you could upload a drawing?

Good choice on getting a rescue bunny as a friend, the rescue centre will be able too match personalities as well as help with the bond. There are lots of rescues on here - where are you based?

Edit - its not so much the bunnies overpowering it but keeping predators out.

Thankies, i luffles my bunneh :p

ATM His hutch has the tiniest wire ive ever seen it its 1"x1" chicken wire so im going with half by half 3 stages better, and i was planning on using at staple gun :p

The dimentions are

Whole thing: 7ft long 3ft wide 6ft tall
Hutch: 2ft long 3ft wide (each hutch) 2 ft tall (both together ) 4ft tall
Run; Tier 1 (on the ground): 5ft long 3ft wide 2ft tall
Run; Tier 2 (just off the ground): 5ft long 3ft wide 2ft tall
Run; Tier 3 (sunbathing tier): 7ft long 3ft wide 2ft tall

ATM His hutch has the tiniest wire ive ever seen it its 1"x1" chicken wire so im going with half by half 3 stages better, and i was planning on using at staple gun :p

The dimentions are

Ref the wire, I'm confused again sorry :oops::lol: 1" x 1" sounds quite big - is that the gaps? Anyhow - have a look at the aviary mesh its much stronger. Get the long thick staples for your gun that way the mesh will be stonger.

Dimensions - my honest opinion is that it isn't wide enough and the hutch area is too small - sorry.

I would suggest that the hutch needs to a min of 5ft wide and the run a min of 4ft wide by as long as you can.

Have a search on here for set ups to give you an idea

I have 2 bunnies living in this:

cc.jpg

The main covered kennel/hutch is 6ft tall x 4ft wide x 3ft deep, the undercover run is 6ft tall x 4ft wide x 6ft long, the next run along is 2ft tall x 4ft wide x 7ft long, the final run is 2ft tall x 4ft wide x 6ft long and the hutch on top is for play only and not living accomodation at 2ft tall by 4ft wide by 18" deep.

I do know I am a little excessive - but one of my buns is a cross conti and needs the space - plus it may give you some ideas.

Good luck with it :wave:

I dont think they need that much as the size ive planned on is 4 times (yes, really) the size of his current ( 4ft long 2ft wide 2 ft wide run, then an extra 1.5ft long by 2 ft wide hutch) It just sturdiness as he is currently, uhh, 6-8 pounds (hes getting weighed in a fortnight)

Hi :wave:

I can't really picture what you have in mind, but basically the RSPCA recommends for two bunns a 6ft x 2 x 2ft hutch, with an attached run of 6ft x 4ft.

And I agree with Julia on not using chicken wire, it is not strong enough to be fox proof, you needed welded mesh.

Ref the wire, I'm confused again sorry :oops::lol: 1" x 1" sounds quite big - is that the gaps? Anyhow - have a look at the aviary mesh its much stronger. Get the long thick staples for your gun that way the mesh will be stonger.

Dimensions - my honest opinion is that it isn't wide enough and the hutch area is too small - sorry.

I would suggest that the hutch needs to a min of 5ft wide and the run a min of 4ft wide by as long as you can.

Have a search on here for set ups to give you an idea

I have 2 bunnies living in this:

cc.jpg

The main covered kennel/hutch is 6ft tall x 4ft wide x 3ft deep, the undercover run is 6ft tall x 4ft wide x 6ft long, the next run along is 2ft tall x 4ft wide x 7ft long, the final run is 2ft tall x 4ft wide x 6ft long and the hutch on top is for play only and not living accomodation at 2ft tall by 4ft wide by 18" deep.

I do know I am a little excessive - but one of my buns is a cross conti and needs the space - plus it may give you some ideas.

Good luck with it :wave:

wow, that is some pad!! I love it :)

The dimentions are

Hi, have you got any drawings? I am hopeless at trying to imagine things :D
Your bunny is so very cute. I have 4 lionheads x x

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2157846&l=afff34e078&id=729511050

This is the shed that I (well hubby) has just built for our 4 bunnies when they are all sorted and bonded. Inside we are going to add some levels etc and there will be run attached to the side. Overnight they will have the space of the shed and run and during the day the run will be open so they will have the run of the garden too.

Just a thought, but quite a few people on here, have adapted sheds etc which sometimes works out cheaper than buying hutches/making your own etc.

Hope that helps x

Gorgeous bunny. There are loads of lionheads in rescues so I'm sure you will be able to find one when you start looking.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2157846&l=afff34e078&id=729511050

This is the shed that I (well hubby) has just built for our 4 bunnies when they are all sorted and bonded. Inside we are going to add some levels etc and there will be run attached to the side. Overnight they will have the space of the shed and run and during the day the run will be open so they will have the run of the garden too.

Just a thought, but quite a few people on here, have adapted sheds etc which sometimes works out cheaper than buying hutches/making your own etc.

Hope that helps x

Thanks for all your help everyone, my mum has said the maximum i can build it is 7x4x6 and if thats not big enough i have to rehome my rabbit cause if i dont get him a friend he's still getting rehomed
Ive worked out that all the material costs (including animal friendly timber satin) will be about £200-£300 and the cheapest shed i can find at that size is £400 so i dont think id save money on that part. :p

7x4x6 is fine but I think the RSPCA like the hutch part to be 6ft wide.

So why not make a 6ft x2ftx2ft hutch, with a run that goes the full length of the hutch and then out 4 ft. That way the overall dimension will be 6ft accross by 6ft forward then what ever height you want.

7x4x6 is fine but I think the RSPCA like the hutch part to be 6ft wide.

So why not make a 6ft x2ftx2ft hutch, with a run that goes the full length of the hutch and then out 4 ft. That way the overall dimension will be 6ft accross by 6ft forward then what ever height you want.

My mum wouldnt let me build that cause the would be 6x6x6 and the maximum size she's letting me make is 7x4x6

Last edited:
Back