• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Amorous bunny. First female

nicksue

New Kit
After allways having a male rabbit we now have a female. All was fine untill recently. well behaved, always used her litter tray and reasonably calm.
Now she has taken a shine to me and gets fruity while making a low cooing noise, also she has taken to dropping a poo everyware and taking a pee in od places.

Will this behaviour pass or has she come of age and this it from now on?

We very much appreciate your help as we live in France and have limited help, the French only have recipes!!

:wave: Hello!

It sounds like she has reached sexual maturity and is showing you her affection :lol:

I'm not sure how 'rabbit savvy' the vets in France are, but you should find a good one to get her neutered when she is old enough (I think it's 6 months upwards it can be done over here?) There are some other members here from France who should be able to help you more :)

By neutering her you will likely remove all of that behaviour (though it can still occur in neutered females) but more importantly, neutering will eliminate the high chance of her getting uterine cancer which sadly affects most female rabbits later in their life. My first bun passed away from it, I've since read that it can begin as early as when the rabbit is 3 years old and affects up to 85% of female rabbits over the age of 6. Neutering is the only way to ensure this does not happen to her.

Good luck and I hope some members from france can help you out further with bunny-savvy vets there :)

Thanks for the replies.

She is about 6 months old and has not been neutered.

We are a bit worried about the neutering opperation. Is it dangerous?

There is a risk as she would need a GA however this risk greatly out-ways the fact that you would be preventing her from getting cancer.

Thanks for the replies.

She is about 6 months old and has not been neutered.

We are a bit worried about the neutering opperation. Is it dangerous?

She is definately at the age where her hormones are flying everywhere, having her speyed, will make her hormones calm down, as she will stop being over friendly with you :lol:

I guess there are rabbit savvy vets in france, i think theres another member on here from france who keeps bunnies, maybe you could chat with her, i'll try and find her screen name :) xXx

Thanks for the help Becky.

We live in the country and most of the vets round here mainly deal with cows, so will have to try and find one that is bunny friendly!:D

The problem we are having with are bun seems to be hormonal. Does this meen that this is it now or will this pass?

We are a bit concerned about her being neutered.

The problem we are having with are bun seems to be hormonal. Does this meen that this is it now or will this pass?

We are a bit concerned about her being neutered.

Hmm, well to answer your specific question, there is no actual definite answer as it really depends. Some females grow out of it, but not until they get to the age of 2 or 3. Some females don't grow out of it until they are much older than that. Some only display the behaviour for a few weeks of spring, others it’s for most of the year. It’s pretty much all down to the individual bunny ;)

This is the point where you stop reading if that's all you wanted to know.

I really don’t mean to scare you with the cancer thing or come across too heavily, it often comes as quite a shock to people who are new at keeping female rabbits but the figures really do speak for themselves :( I think it is a good idea to seriously consider neutering when you find a vet who is good with rabbits. It's a heartbreaking thing to go through because when it's all said and done, you know deep in your heart that there was something you could have done to prevent it. Trust me on this one, it's coming from someone who made the mistake and has to live with it :cry:

A big thank you for all your replies.........

A big thank you to everyone for your advice and help.

After a couple of calmer days we wondered if the amorous mood had passed for the moment but it has returned! We were beginning to talk ourselves out of putting poor Bunny through the op., but ofcourse there's the cancer thing now worrying us.

Finding a vet for domestic pets is not easy here in France..........had a lengthy chat with a recommended one - in her opinion the op wouldn't change anything character/amorous wise. But expressing our concerns re cancer, she said she wasn't equipped to do it anyway!

The second, who did the myxy jab and was very nice, didn't recommend it because of the anaesthetic and has only done it twice in her career........it just isn't common practice here.

So, now we've made the decision and we're looking for the vet!

Susanne

Back