• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Desperately need bonding advice-opinions...

charlie82

Mama Doe
I've been trying to bond some bunnies, cut a long story short I initially got them together after a couple of days, then they had to be seperated due to illness and putting them back together is proving difficult.

I have had to do a slow bond, they are living side by side. Initially if I put them together they would start fighting after a few minutes as the male would constantly mount...was literally obsessed with it and he is very aggressive whilst doing it.

Left them apart for another week and tried again, over time his attempts at mounting have drastically subsided, but the little doe is very defensive everytime he goes near. Sometimes she will push her head under his for a groom, but he just lies there so she nips him. Sometimes he will run away and sometimes it will start off a nipping fight and I have to intervene. Tried them outside today in a small pen and he wanted to mount again so the fighting started, put them in a carrier together and she sat and groomed him for ages!!

They have been together all day now, but I have to watch constantly to stop any fights from starting. They will eat together, sleep etc but it's just her nipping that's the problem, she's very frustrated that he won't groom her! We seem to be stuck at this stage. I don't know if I am wasting my time trying to get them together or if I should keep on going. :?

Keep trying if you can, just sounds like they need a little more time. Sometimes moving them to a different place during bonding can make it seem like it is starting all over again (Homey and Katy were like this when we moved from the wendy house to the run on the grass).

Good luck.

Thanks,

I think that's what happened when I put them outside, thinking a new place would help it just kicked it all off.

Just feels like we are stuck at this point. I don't have the stamina to stay awake for 24 hours and I know it isn't helping that I have been splitting them up on a night.

Chip just will not groom her, yet he'll turn round and groom my leg :roll:

He has an obsession for denim...shame I can't make her a little denim hat...we'd be good to go then :lol:

Back