• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flystrike and abscesses/ Spoken to Novartis

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Nessa has multiple abscess on her face and therefore open holes, we really didn't expect her to still be with us but as it is now getting warmer we are worried about flystrike.

I am assuming that if I rearguard her in the normal way this will still protect her face even though it is applied to the base of her spine and surrounding area.

Is anyone able to confirm this?

Last edited:
Hi, no I don't think so I think it only protects the area that it is applied to by preventing the eggs that are layed from developing. Other than protecting her outside by enclosing her area with insect netting or keeping her in and screening the windows etc I don't know what you could use to protect her face. Sorry.

I thought it was absorbed by the skin and provided all over protection in the same way that a spot on kills fleas etc all over the body :?

I thought it only covered the areas that the product had been sponged as well :? The data sheet doesn't specify, but it does tell you to make sure that the underside is well covered, implying that there is a direct correlation between the area of application and its efficacy :?

The other option would be xenex ultra - I know some people really don't like the use of this in rabbits and I have anecdotally heard of some severe reactions (although I've used it in the past with no problems), but it does act systemically and while it doesn't kill the eggs, it would kill off any maggots that hatch as soon as they start munching. Really not ideal but it might be worth considering when looking at the risks of all options :?

Edit: anyone know if xeno450 (ivermectin spot on) would have the same effect?

Last edited:
How strange. I've had my vet apply rearguard before and she has only applied it over the rump, not the underside at all. I always assumed it sank into the skin and so protected the whole bun too.
I'm looking forward to finding out whether it does. I will be shocked if not.

The data sheet also says "Dermal absorption rate a maximum of 10% of dose over 8 hours. Cyromazine rapidly excreted in mammals and birds" and also that it loses effectiveness if the animal is bathed. I'm still only guessing but both these statements also imply to me that it is only effective in contact with the areas it was directly applied :?

Datasheet here: http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Novartis_Animal_Health_UK_Ltd/Rearguard/-28334.html if anyone is interested in reading it.

I thought it only covered the areas that the product had been sponged as well :? The data sheet doesn't specify, but it does tell you to make sure that the underside is well covered, implying that there is a direct correlation between the area of application and its efficacy :?

The other option would be xenex ultra - I know some people really don't like the use of this in rabbits and I have anecdotally heard of some severe reactions (although I've used it in the past with no problems), but it does act systemically and while it doesn't kill the eggs, it would kill off any maggots that hatch as soon as they start munching. Really not ideal but it might be worth considering when looking at the risks of all options :?

Edit: anyone know if xeno450 (ivermectin spot on) would have the same effect?

After speaking to a rep from Genitrix (the makers of Xeno etc) I don't feel Xeno450 would do the same. Xenex Ultra is the product they recommend for flystrike. It kills blowflies and maggots upto 2 weeks after application.

Going slightly off at a tangent here but am I being neurotic about really not feeling happy about using the likes of Reaguard and Xenex Ultra :?

I admit that in 11 years of Rabbit keeping I have never used either :?

The data sheet also says "Dermal absorption rate a maximum of 10% of dose over 8 hours. Cyromazine rapidly excreted in mammals and birds" and also that it loses effectiveness if the animal is bathed. I'm still only guessing but both these statements also imply to me that it is only effective in contact with the areas it was directly applied :?

Datasheet here: http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Novartis_Animal_Health_UK_Ltd/Rearguard/-28334.html if anyone is interested in reading it.

When I used it on Evie who was incontinent and needed regular bathing, the vet said that it would be ok after 3 days as thats how long it takes for the skin to absorb it :?

I would email or telephone Novartis and ask them as it is not very clear (to me anyway) by reading the datasheet but I am, as I said before, of the opinion that it is only effective on the area it is applied to otherwise you could put it anywhere for it to work and would not have to "pay particular attention the the area around and under the tail".

The trouble with an open abcess is that the fly would have access directly in to the body bypassing the skin even if the skin was "protected" by the rearguard.

Hope you get to the bottom of this soon, I'd be interested to know the true answer. Good luck.

I'm sorry I don't know the answer, but was just wondering where the abcesses were on her face and if you could cover them over in any way instead? Perhaps with muslim and/or micropore??

I have spoken to Novartis and they didn't seem to know too much about it :?

But basically I have now decided the whole product is pointless :roll:

It only works where it is applied and and is not absorbed by the skin, which is not what a rabbit savvy vet told me :?

So it can't help Nessa or any of my incontinent bunnies as they need regular bathing. I did say it seems a bit pointless having a product that is needed most by incontinent and messy bunnies but yet doesn't actually work for them :?

Oh well thats saved me a lot of money anyway

I have spoken to Novartis and they didn't seem to know too much about it :?

That's helpful :roll:

Shame really, it's a good concept and I'm sure it does have a good use in some circumstances but it sounds like it's largely not going to do a lot of good for yours :?

Still, like you say, at least you've saved yourself some money :?

Just looked this thread up again to see what the outcome was.

Glad you got to the bottom of it. I didn't think it was absorbed in any way that would be benefitial all over the body. Good job you checked it out.

I'm thinking .... could you fashion a little mesh face sheild like horses have? or a dab of oil of citronella on the top of the head assuming it's ok for bunnies?

Back