• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lighting for shed no mains available

mrshorsy

Warren Scout
Hi
I have tried searching this question but everything that keeps coming up is a couple of years pld so the links dont work anymore:(
Just wondering if anyone has any solutions for me. I will need some kind of lighting in the new bun shed I'm building and as there is no mains electricity available was wondering how I was going to do it. In the winter I would like to be able to leave the light on fro them in the evening until I put them to bed so need something thats not going to need batterries changing every 5 mins and also something that is quite bright so I can see, Gwen likes you to sit and read while she sits on your knee!

I use the dot lights, which you can pick up at most DIY places like B&Q and they seem to give off a good light for about 7ft.:D Have heard good things about the solar lights though, so would try and go for those as a first choice. :D

I use a solar light from B&Q. Only problem with it is that if there hasn't been much light, say in the winter months, then the light isn't very powerful. It does the job for me though, just enough light for me to get whatever I need from the shed. (my buns aren't in there)

Hi Shaz, i am sooo glad you have asked this question cuz I was thinking the same! I don't know how well the buns see in the dark, and I was just going to leave it to the natural light of day, but thinking about it, it would be nice and cosy if they had lights in the shed! I think I am gonna look into solar lights, I think they will work best???

Will let you know if i find anything!

Hi:wave:
We use these. Sorry it's an annoying video!!:lol::lol:

http://www.jmldirect.com/Stick-Up-Bulb-PS5265/

They take batteries and only last a couple of hours, but we use re-chargable batteries.

We put one on a dusk and just check after a couple of hours if another is needed.

This time of year, just one is fine and it goes off about bedtime, so it's perfect.

Eventually we will have proper lights!!

Also, you will need to get replacement bulbs which you can buy from JML at about 50p each! It does however come with one spare bulb already and they usually last a few weeks.

I picked up a few of them in Wilkinsons for £2.00 each a while ago, but not sure if they still have them.

Hope you get it sorted o.k

I've just bought one of these for camping. We used one last year which we borrowed from my brother and it was so fab that we have bought one for ourselves this year! My fella is going to use it for fishing too. It gives off a lovely light and you can use all of the LED's or just some to conserve your battery/bulb life. The bulbs last for ever (or it feels like it, I've never ran an LED out yet!) and the batteries last ages too! I think I'll after to get another for the bunnies playhouse!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....K:MEWNX:IT&item=250409331831#ebayphotohosting

My OH ran a cable overhead to the shed from the kitchen, it's connected to a transformer which is plugged in the kitchen, very basic but no digging cables into the ground. I just have to switch it on and off from a socket. In the shed it's like a spotlight you would use in kitchen cupboards.

Back