• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another bonding query U/D yet ANOTHER one

SisterMoonbeam

Mama Doe
Fidget keeps going up to Frankie and sort of burying her head under him (mainly under his chin). He doesn't seem to be bothered/interested in what she is doing but wondering what this is?

Last edited:
That is definitely a request for grooming. :) My rabbits have been getting into showdowns, where they both put their heads down, and neither one will give in and groom the other. :lol: But normally my boy gives in. He's such a sweetie!

Yep a definate grooming request! Strawberry does this all the time to Snowdrop- usually when she is washing herself.

Is grooming an act of submission then? Like primates? They are both doing it now and neither will give in. They are actually wrestling to get their heads under each other's now :lol:

Is grooming an act of submission then? Like primates? They are both doing it now and neither will give in. They are actually wrestling to get their heads under each other's now :lol:

A dominant bun will expect the other to groom him or her initially. Once the relationship is established you will see mutual grooming!

Yes, there are more questions!!

How will i know when they are bonded? They have been in the pen now for over 48 hours. When they are bonded they will go to live in the hutch (which was Frankie's - has been cleaned and new toys put in though). But how will i know when it's time for that? And in the meantime should i just leave them where they are? Or can they have a go in the run? feel bad keeping them indoors with the gorgeous weather outside!

I think you will know yourself when they seem happy together. With mine I moved them from their bonding crate into the hutch they were going to share and left them in it for 24 hours then let them into the run. When they got the extra space a bit of chasing went off but not for long and nothing serious.

Back