• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

In praise of emergency vets

Dustyrabbit

Warren Veteran
Had a bad day yesterday, went out to feed the bunnies and found Maisey (6 months old) all hunched up, cold and dirty from a runny bum. Scooped her up and took her inside, wiped her over and called the vets, got her seen within an hour - fluids, painkiller, gut stimulant given and home with Oxbow recovery food, she perked up and was eating and drinking and pooing a bit but later in the evening she had a major relapse laying flat out legs outstretched and poo just flowing out of her rear end:( It was 9.30 so I called the out of hours number at our usual vets, worrying about who it would be and what help they could be (if they weren't good with rabbits) but I needn't have worried as I met James just 15 minutes later at the surgery and Maisey was admitted to be rehydrated, she was also given more painkillers, a gut stimulant and was started on antibiotics and fibreplex. He called at 10 this morning to report that a rectal/fecal(?) swap showed she had a large number of Coccidia and he had started her on Septrin to deal with that. She had a comfortable night in the hospital and ate everything laid before her and had no more "explosive" episodes. She's home now continuing on her meds.

I know shes probably not out of the woods yet but just wanted to say, after reading some out of hours vet horror stories how please I was with the service I received. I had loads of questions for him and he answered fully and clearly so I understood. Was helpful about isolation etc as I also have Maiseys brother Fizzy. I know its not cheap but I have often had poor vet service ie bad advice and treatment and that's not been cheap AND I've had to return and pay again. Sorry for long post - relief makes me type!

awww glad shes getting better, i know what you mean, you read so much bad that its nice when it works out.

I have nothing but praise for my vets, despite having lost 2 bunnies i don't blame them x

sending lots of vibes for a speedy recovery x

Thanks for the vibes. Yes I guess she's got a way to go but nice to feel confident about the diagnosis and treatment plan, at least we know we are doing the best we can.

Back