• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

cost of dawson's 6ft double hutch?

gemmam

Alpha Buck
Just wondered if anyone has had a quote recently for a 6ft double (no ramp, separate hutches)? Either 6x2/2.5?

A triple cost us £300 but we ordered a few and he did say they should normally be £350. I think a double was £250 - £280

:shock: Mines a happy hutch double 6x2x2 and im sure it was half the price! I kow dawsons are supposed to bet better quality and all but do they justify the price? i've had my happy hutch for over a year now and can't fault it.

I have a 6 x 2 x 2 Happy Hutch single storey hutch which is about 18 months old the floor has bowed on it and needs fixing back up, apart from that I cannot complain on its current condition. It has been wood treated twice since I had it and all the seems sealed with silicone which all help to keep it in better condition.

I also have a Ryedale hutch for my piggies a quadruple storey hutch which arrived Easter 2008 and it is still in pristine condition. The wood which supports the floor is far thicker and when you move it, it is far heavier and more solid than the happy hutch.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the happy hutch hutches if they are wood treated every 6 months and sealed however it won't last as long as my Ryedale.

If I compare the happy hutch to the rabbit shack hutches and the ones like the thistle hall, they are clearly made from cheaper softer wood. I was given two brand new ones this time last year for the piggies and both have nearly had the wood on the door chewed so badly that the mesh wont be safely held in them for much longer. Sadly the hinges and the bolts are far too weak and small for use on a hutch.

My personal feeling is that it is better to spend a bit more as cheaper hutches are a false economy.

I do think Happy Hutch are inferior quality, my last one is from there and hasn't fared well at all. However this one will be going inside a shed so I am undecided whether to go for a better one or another Happy Hutch and hope it lasts a bit longer with being in the shed :?

My bank balance is in favour of Happy Hutch I have to say!

If you wood treat it, cover the floor with lino, and put in metal protective strips to stop it getting eaten and it is used inside you will probably find it will last a lot longer than one outdoors.

Our Happy hutches barely lasted a year, the doors fell off, hinges had to be replaced, wood bowed etc. Floors are only 6mm thick. Dawsons are still going strong after 2 years floors are minimum 11mm thick. We have a lot of rabbits etc through here so they need to be built to last.

Back