• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can two females live together happy?

alfie+Honey

Warren Scout
hi my mum looked after my rabbits while i was on holiday and has decided she wants two rabbits now. she has reserved two baby lion heads as the woman said two females would live together happily without being neutured is this right? as i thought they might get territorial or something if they have phantom pregnancies. they are the same age and from the same litter. sorry i have a boy and a girl so know i had to get mine done but not sure on females. shes really excited for them and has converted her big garden shed all ready for them i just don't want them fighting and one getting hurt.

i would suggest getting them done, even if they are the same sex.
It will help calm them down from hormones and they could fight...
:roll:

Has she thought about going to a rescue, she could get a pair who are already bonded so they know each other and wouldn't fight :)

If she does get the girls I would definitely get them neutered. I have 2 girls and a boy living happily together, it took a bit of effort to get the girls to stop chasing though!

My two girls were from the same litter and I had them spayed before their hormones set in and they haven't had to be separated.

thanks for all the advice. yeah i suggested a rescue but she has been getting regular updates about these two so i think she has fell in love with them already

Don't forget to mention that around 80% of unneutered females will get uterine cancer by the age of 6....

To a certain extent I think it depends on the individuals, how much space they have, whether they can smell other bunnies etc...I bonded 2 unspayed females many years ago back before spaying became commonplace and they lived together quite happily until the day I looked after my friend's two female rabbits while she was on holiday...then they fought like mad and I never managed to get them back together after that.

So it is possible, but it is definitely advisable to get them neutered sooner rather than later - aside from the risks of uterine cancer/general grumpiness and territorial nature of unspayed females, it hugely reduces the risk that they will permanently fall out if something happens to 'trigger' a fight.

I've got a group of 4 sisters living together happily in a big shed adjoining a fenced off patio, which they have access to for a couple of hours morning and evening. They are now 4yrs old and have never been split up. The loppy rabbit in my sig was their mum - she had to be split from the group for an operation, and after recovering for a month it was too difficult to rebond her with her daughters, so it's important they aren't split up for any reason.

Mine aren't spayed and they do have phantom pregnancies from about March till September. I leave the nest alone for a couple of weeks and they lose interest, although during that time they all protect the nest which just one of them has made, which is very sweet - I clean out around it and they pat it with their front paws and look at me all worried :lol:

The only thing that makes mine fight is food - they see me, they think I have food and it's usually Primrose - greedy girl - decides to chase her sisters away or leap on them and give them a good telling off, so she can have it all :roll: That's nothing to do with them being female, it's more down to personality - Zinniea is very calm and sits by my feet waiting for food while her 3 sisters tear about the place trying to chase each other away :lol:

The key to stopping the chasing and dominant behaviour is lots of space, with boxes, chairs, etc for them to jump onto, or run through - plus I always wear wellies so I can put a boot in between Primrose and her victim - she looks very ashamed then naughty madam :D

My main worry with your mum's situation would be that rabbits are notoriously hard to sex correctly when young - even vets get it wrong - and time and again on the forum I see people crying about their rabbit being pregnant because they didn't have 2 girls after all.

I adopted my group from rescue when they were all fully grown, but rescues do have litters of slightly older babies in too - especially around Easter time sadly - it would be lovely if your mum could give them a home as it sounds like she's going to take good care of them :)

I have personal experience of this and two females will not live happily together unless they are spayed, even if they are from the same litter.

You will need to get them spayed sometime between 6 months - 10 months old.

I have 2 females living together and they are both speyed. Lola calmed down an awful lot after being speyed, I dont think i would have dared bond her before she was speyed, she was far too feisty!

Back