• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutches

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
We are thinking about the possibility of having bunnies outside and wondered if anyone has any hutch recommendations? We ideally want at least 6ft with an attached run as our garden is not secure.

Our options are-

1) A completely new hutch and run- any ideas of a good place to get this?

2) To use our shed as a base and then have a run for the garden. I couldnt attach a run to the shed as its a rental property and so cant make adjustments to the shed

3) To use a 4ft x 2ft old hutch that I have and buy/build an 8ft by 4ft run to it. Bunnies would be keep inside over night in their current NIc set-up as the 4ft hutch wouldnt be big enough for them to both sleep in.

Any other ideas would be great! Our garden is also all grass so how would I stop bunnies digging out of a run?

You could always built a hutch :wave::D
All sounds like a good idea, maybe put a pot in the run what they could dig in? or a sand pit something like that? :wave:

Would it be out of the question to unscrew the door and make a new mesh door that could be attached to the run, and obviously keep the original door so that it could be re-attached?

if the shed isnt owned by you then i wouldnt touch it... i would either build/or buy a new hutch... im not experienced enough to advise whether the 4ft would be enough, but im sure if it was only the daytime with a permanent run access then it should be ok? after all its no different to buns going in a run with a small shelter

It might be an option- I will get the OH to go up to the garden and have a look at it. The other option would be to leave the shed door open and some how attached a run to the front. Hmmm...... I would rather just buy a hutch and run to be honest so that if we move we can take the whole thing with us- but the only ones I can find are ridiculously expensive!!!

My Grandad is willing to make me a run for the 4ft hutch so at the minute im considering keeping them as house bunnies but letting them go on the garden in the 4fthutch/run during the day.

The only concern with that is that bunnies don't like sudden changes in temperature, so ok spring to autumn but not a good idea in winter, really.

As they are house bunnies I'd go for using the 4ft hutch and getting really good run either to attach to the hutch or the hutch to go inside it. As long as the run is 2ft tall by reasonable dimensions it sounds good.

I stupidly bought a 6ft hutch when I've got 2 really good quality 4ft double hutches that have not been used for more than a few days.... I should have gone for the option of attaching a big run to them. If you plan the run well you would (if you wanted) be able to upgrade to a 6ft hutch at some time with the current run to attach to it.

i would worry about the buns chewing the shed and you having to fork out for a new one, and a new hutch.
if i were renting the place out i wouldnt want my shed 'altered' unless i agreed to it (i know the damage that my rabbits and chins have done to places when we have rented and im much more careful now to save costly repairs later)

The only concern with that is that bunnies don't like sudden changes in temperature, so ok spring to autumn but not a good idea in winter, really.

It would only be in the summer on nice days.

Everyone always says 6ft hutch- but surely a 6ft by 2ft hutch alone is not as good as a 4ft x 2ft hutch with an attached 8ft x 4ft run?

I will get on the phone to my Grandad and ask him if he can make the run!

Back