• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How often do you

LilVicky

Warren Veteran
Clean out your buns?
Mine are outside buns and live in their hutch in the garage... they seem to smell really bad after a week and i clean them out every sunday... but i think i need to clean them out twice a week but the problem is that it would be on a sunday and wednesday... but im at college on wednesdays till 5pm... :roll:

How often do you clean yours out?

I do a big clean, which is cleaning everything, on Sunday. I clean all their boxes of hay etc (where they poo) every other day, unless it is all wet and needs changing, in which case, I do it when it needs to be.

It doesn't really smell, because everything that is full of poo, or wee gets changed, so I suppose thats why :)

x

I do a big clean, which is cleaning everything, on Sunday. I clean all their boxes of hay etc (where they poo) every other day, unless it is all wet and needs changing, in which case, I do it when it needs to be.

It doesn't really smell, because everything that is full of poo, or wee gets changed, so I suppose thats why :)

x

oh right... that may be where im going rong :oops::lol:
i guess i should change where they wee and poo everyday/every other day :oops: Thanks for that :wave:

Trays are cleaned daily - emptied and scrubbed.
Hutches emptied once during the week and totally emptied and scrubbed top to bottom every Sunday. The runs are scrubbed every night. I'm going to scrub them twice a week starting this week because there's more flies about now, it's warmer and I don't want them to be smelly and attract the flies.

Trays are cleaned daily - emptied and scrubbed.
Hutches emptied once during the week and totally emptied and scrubbed top to bottom every Sunday. The runs are scrubbed every night. I'm going to scrub them twice a week starting this week because there's more flies about now, it's warmer and I don't want them to be smelly and attract the flies.

yeah thats what i am worried about... so ill clean their poos and wees up everyday to prevent it. :D

If you do clean the trays every day and do a complete clean twice a week you realise that it takes less time than only doing it once. I used to only do them once a week and it took at least 3 hours to totally empty and clean 2 hutches. Now it only takes about 1 hour to do both :D

If you do clean the trays every day and do a complete clean twice a week you realise that it takes less time than only doing it once. I used to only do them once a week and it took at least 3 hours to totally empty and clean 2 hutches. Now it only takes about 1 hour to do both :D

Well i takes me an hour with my big hutch totally cleaning it out every sunday. :roll: Doesnt take too long as i have an outdoor hoover and cheat :lol:
Well i have a littertray in the hutch but only toffee uses it. :roll:

Mine are inside at the moment and I clean them out every other day, litter trays and I put down clean blankets and stuff if they're dirty. When they go outside their hutches and litter trays are completely cleaned out every day - I'm really paranoid about flies :lol:

I completely clean out my un-litter trained buns twice weekly. I work until 6pm on Wednesdays so stagger the cleaning days...i.e. some buns are done Wednesday/Saturday and some are done Thursday/Sunday.

The mid-week clean is usually a quick wipe out and replace bedding. The weekend clean is more thorough, and I'll disinfect everything and leave it to air for a while.

Although...any particularly stinky buns are done more frequently, especially if they're not yet neutered

Last edited:
I completely clean out my un-litter trained buns twice weekly. I work until 6pm on Wednesdays so stagger the cleaning days...i.e. some buns are done Wednesday/Saturday and some are done Thursday/Sunday.

The mid-week clean is usually a quick wipe out and replace bedding. The weekend clean is more thorough, and I'll disinfect everything and leave it to air for a while.

i think thats what i could do on a wednesday and sunday... just a quick clean out after dinner on wednesday and then completely clean on sunday mornings
:love:

I can't remember if you use newspaper? Lining the hutch with newspaper makes it much easier to clean out and you can just roll up the newspaper, sweep out any bit that have fallen off, clean and replace :)

I can't remember if you use newspaper? Lining the hutch with newspaper makes it much easier to clean out and you can just roll up the newspaper, sweep out any bit that have fallen off, clean and replace :)

yeah i use lots of newspaper :oops::lol: And sawdust to help soak up the wees.
I roll it all up and then get the hoover and hoover the rest out :D

Ah well you just have to tell Daisy and Fussy to behave like ladies and use the litter tray :lol: :lol:

Have you tried getting a huge litter tray, lining with newspaper then putting loads of hay in it and not having hay elsewhere in the hutch? Might make them go in the right place! If you search "litter training" there are lots of tips :)

Ah well you just have to tell Daisy and Fussy to behave like ladies and use the litter tray :lol: :lol:

Have you tried getting a huge litter tray, lining with newspaper then putting loads of hay in it and not having hay elsewhere in the hutch? Might make them go in the right place! If you search "litter training" there are lots of tips :)

Thats a really good idea, thank you :D
ill give that a try xx

I have Gwens hutch lined with lino floor tiles and then she has a litter tray with woodshavings in the bottom and hay on top. I change the litter tray everyday and wipe the lino with a squirt of pet safe anti-bac spray and then clean out her sleeping quarters once a week as shes a very clean lady and never wee's or poos in there!

Mine are outdoor bunnies. I clean out all wee and poo from their hutch and run daily. Any wet hay in their bedroom gets cleaned out, fresh hay added. Hay in litter tray binned and fresh hay added. There is a big clean out once a fortnight disinfecting everything.

I have one big litter tray (mines are indoor buns). The litter tray is the bottom of the big nero cage without the wire cageing on the top and I have it filled with woodshavings and hay. They only go in there. There are no poos dotted around or anything - i guess im lucky that way. It makes it much easier to clean coz I just empty the whole litter tray into the recycling bin and then wash it re fill it, hoover their carpets and put the tray back in. It only takes me about 1 hour.

For the dark nights a head torch is invaluable for cleaning out and feeding in the dark. I often dont start the evening feeding and cleaning until 9.00 pm.

Getting the hutch organised with a large litter tray which is the only place where hay is, you can have it in the tray and also hang other hay above the tray. That way they are possibly more likely to use their tray which will make cleaning out easier and quicker.

Back