• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mxyi hits vaccinated rabbit again!

Jack Bunn

New Kit
Followiing the death last year of one of our rabbits with Mxyi, he was vaccinated, we have once again our new rabbit in the same position. He has been with the vet all week as he thought it was worth the effort to try and save him. However, I have brought him home on Friday and he has just got worse. He has lumps all over and the bite on his nose as well as his eyes all swollen and guckie. His breathing is very laboured although he is still eating. I am in two minds as what to do for the best having been through this situation before. We have only had him for a month and he was supposed to be vaccinated by the well known pet shop!
Hard decision will have to be taken in the next 24 hours.

I hope no one else has to be in this same position

Jack Bunn

I hope your bunny pulls through this. Some others with expereicne of this will be along shortly with some advice.

Did the pet shop give you a vaccination certificate so you can be sure?

the pet shop (P@h) did give a certificate which was not signed by a vet so our vet called them and they confirmed that they had vaccinated the rabbits. However, the sign is no longer up in the shop saying that they vaccinate but when i spoke to one of the staff yesterday she said that they still did but had removed the sign!! which makes me more concerned. I will be contacting the Manager on monday depending on what happens

the pet shop (P@h) did give a certificate which was not signed by a vet so our vet called them and they confirmed that they had vaccinated the rabbits. However, the sign is no longer up in the shop saying that they vaccinate but when i spoke to one of the staff yesterday she said that they still did but had removed the sign!! which makes me more concerned. I will be contacting the Manager on monday depending on what happens

I would be going back to P@H no matter what and they would be paying the vets bill - they will pay if you contact them and let them know.
I have no advice I can give you re. myxi. I hope your rabbit pulls through.
Sending vibes for your bunny xxx.

I've heard of vacc buns surviving nodular mxyi (the type they get when they're vacc) but it's still a very rough ride for everyone involved. I've never heard of an unvacc bun surviving myxi though.

As long as he's receiving vet care and they can keep him comfy and in no pain what have you got to lose? It can be done.

Good luck and my thoughts are with you as you struggle with this terrible decision.

xx

That sounds so dodgy:roll: ((((((((Vibes))))) for your bunny.

fingers crossed for jack bun x x x

also, stephy - what an inspriation your site is re tilly. seeing those pics puts hope into everyone nursing a poorly bun. sorry to hear about your outside buns :cry:

x

Many thanks for all the support, Billy is going back to vets tomorrow (22nd)and see what they have to say.

It is truly heart breaking to see the little fella like this, he is only 22 weeks old. He is still eating and still got a bit of bounce in him, but his eyes and breathing are not good.

We have got 3 other bunns, two of which had the mild form of Mxyi and have got great chunks out of thier noses.

It really makes you wonder about the vaccine, and how effect it really is. I know if they go un-vaccinated the chances are not good, but even with!

I know that we live in higher risk area, but have put netting up, fly paper and have now got electronic insect killers. Not much more we can do I guess.

Again many thanks all, and will keep you posted.

JB

Well sorry to say we had to put Billy to sleep, it was the right decision in the end. We did not want him suffering anymore.

I'm so sorry that you had to let him go. It's horrible having to make that decision if you are not 100% sure if they are going to pull through but know they are in so much pain that it is the kindest thing to do.

Was your vet able to confirm if it was nodular or full blown mixi? As far as I am aware our local pets at home do not vaccinate against mixi so I'd be surprised if your did unless their was an on site vet.

Back