• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to clean Teddy

TeddyPatches

Warren Scout
Teddy is not very well at the moment and constantly has a wet bottom, I want to try and keep him clean but I don't know what the best way of cleaning him is... he hates being put upside down so he's not the easiest to clean! Advice please :)

Awww I had the same problem with my bunny Barney a year ago I used to wrap him in a towel then turn him upside down and wipe him with wet wipes and also cut away any loose matted fur. Poor boy looked awful. :(

Is he being treated for the wet bottom ? I had a nethie buck with cystitis i wraped him in a towel but kept him upright and dipped his bum in the wash hand basin , he was then dried and covered in sudocrem

Sorry to hear Teddy is poorly. We had a bun who needed regular bottom cleanups but luckily he didn't mind being cradled. I haven't really got a suggestion for the cleaning but I would really recommend Sudacrem to protect the skin in that area and the use of disposible baby changemats for him to sit on as they keep the moisure away from the bunny just like a nappy - obviously be careful that he isn't going to chew them. Perhaps he will get used to being upside down - let him settle and go "sleepy" before you start and I find that being in a room that he's not used to can help so maybe try setting up your cleaning station in another room.

Thanks everyone, I've been using wet wipes and that seems to be working quite well as i can do it when he's flopped out :) I like the idea of a disposable baby changing map - i think i'll try that, i'll get some sudocrem today too, i don't want him to be sore poor thing :(

He will be being treated for it but the vet doesn't know what's caused it yet so he's had urine and blood tests, we're just waiting for the results of the blood tests now.

don't know much about wet wipes for buns with wet bottoms
but I buy oval cottonwool pads (i think meant for eyemake-up removal) -no chemicals in them just cotton wool and soak them in warm water to clean my buns weepy eye each day. I then use a dry one to wipe dry.
Does he have any tiny cuts or abrasions? as lemon (if that is wet wipe scent?) might sting? -he might wriggle if the wet wipe stings?
try to feel confident when you hold him and let him settle into his own position before you start-that might help? Teddy is a brill name! - hope he feels better soon.-Sue:wave:

pm Hugos-there as Liz might be able to give you advice on this?

as the leak only started after he was pulling at wounds post spey- could he have damaged the urethra ?-I think it's close to the testes but not sure?-just a thought?- hope tests give some results.

It is 7 weeks now since his neuter and it only started last week, the vet saw him beforehand and said everything was healing nicely so i'm hoping it's not anything he's done to himself. I'm using unscented babywipes and there doesn't seem to be any cuts or anything, he doesn't actually seem bothered by the wet, just leaves a little wet patch wherever he's been sitting poor thing :(

I'm annoyed that I have to wait so long for the results though, the vet told me on friday night that i had missed the lab post and therefore the tests wouldn't go to the lab until tuesday! If they had told me that before I would have taken him in before work!!!

when you say wet bottom, is it just urine or soft poos?

When I wash my bridge bun Little Happy who has wet bottom, I just use warm water to run thru that spot

Back