• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Barmy Bunny Behaviour

Michelleox

Mama Doe
Please could you give me opinions on this please...

I went out to see Amber this morning and she seemed please to see me as usual. I noticed that she hadn't eaten many pellets over night which is unheard of. I gave her a usual morning treat and she ate it, then proceeded to run about like mad around her cage. I offered her a single pellet which she just rubbed her chin on it (which is ownership behaviour?) but didn't want to eat it which is again unheard of. I've never seen her rub her chin on anything before. Anyway, I opened her hatch and she took off at 100mph round and round and up and down her run and cage, pausing to look at me before taking off again. She was looking like she was really enjoying herself.

I went off to prepare her breakfast and looked out and she looked like she calmed down a bit. I gave her her beloved breakfast (veg and pellets) and she was off again, stopping breifly to grab and mouth full of veg on the way round! She was also grabbing a strand of straw and thowing it in the air. I left her to it and she was back to normal eating her breakfast. I'm now at work so can't check if she's eaten it all.

On peering in her night part of her cage this morning it looks as though she has spayed up the walls :shock:

Amber is a healthy 10 months old unspeyed outdoor female. I'm planning to get her speyed in June time when it gets warmer. She has her typicall grumpy days where she doesn't want to know much and has the occasional territorial days gaurding her hatch but not seen this before.

Can anyone give me an insight to what she's thinking? Is this the 'Spring Fever' and is there anything that i can do in the meantime?

Thanks

I'm no expert but by the sounds of it she wants a little lovin' :lol:. Cause she isn't spayed yet and it is 'that time of year' her hormones will be out of control otherwise known as 'spring fever'. A lot of rabbits go a bit bonkers at this time of year, especially un-neutered ones. Bless her!

ETA: That is not to say give her any lovin'! You're not stupid and probably know exactly what i mean, but some people who may read this could be :lol:

Spring fever has hit she'll settle down once she is spayed. On the pellets front have you started a new bag and they changed the formula or something.

Thanks for the comments:wave: Funnily enough she has almost come to the end of a large bag and am changing to the new bag tonight. It did cross my mind that the pellets may be tasting a bit old possibly but i haven't had them long and well within there date.

Daisy has been rubbing her chin on everything too for the past few days, and I'd never seen her do it before either. Sounds like we do both have crazy spring fever buns! :wave:

Someone recently commented that their rabbit had been a bit dubious of their Excel pellets which came in the new bag. We believe Excel are in the process of changing their pellets.

Amber is on Sience Selective and she was nearly at the end of the bag so it may be that but thanks for the suggestion. She eating everything else but just leave about a third of the pellets so i'lltry the new bag. It's dinner time in a bit so we will see.

I have just spent a few hours scrubbing her cage after her wee wee gymnastic display(how do they get it on the roof!!??). She's just been gawping at me from her run wondering why i'm glaring at her :roll: gggrrrr bunnies

Truffle and Bean are having their mad moments at the minute. Truffle runs around the whole house like a mad woman. Binkying and the just running at full pelt! Bean will then run around too so they are both running up and down and then Bean tries to hump! :oops::oops::oops:

She just lets it happen and then they both stop and flop over!!! Quite funny but its slowly becoming less frequent. Think Spring is deffo in the air. Good job they are both neutered.

Glad i'm not the only one then.

Amber is eating her pellets now, she must have had other things on her mind yesterday......;)

Ok, now i'm a bit worried. Bun isn't eating her dinner. She's eaten some grass this evening, some hay and a couple of small treats. Seems she'll eat anything except the pellets:( Should i be worried? Should i get a vets appointment tomorrow? She seems bright and was running about, circling and binkying just an hour an a half ago.She doesn't seem bloated. She gets bored with hay so i do have to keep on switching to different hays as she seems to get bored. Would she have simply got bored of them? Is it just part of her amourous behaviour at the moment?

Can anyone advise me please?

Back