• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baytril Question?

Maizey

Wise Old Thumper
Blue has been suffering from snuffles and I was given seven days worth of baytril to inject him.The vet got a large pot of baytril and poured it into a little pot.Im convinced she has given me oral baytril as It has been really hard to inject.Im not giving him any more until I can speak to a vet tomorrow.If It is oral baytril will it have done any harm to blue?

I doubt it will do any harm. It may cause a local skin reaction at the site of innoculation. This usually happens within 24 hours if its going to :?
Probably best to check with the Vet before giving another injection though.

I use injectable Baytil and whilst not as gloopy as, say, Depocillin, it is certainly not like water. The gloopiness may increase if its dispensed into another bottle and then refrigerated.

Thank you Jane.All the injectable baytril I have ever used has been from a glass bottle with a rubber seal on top or I have watched the vet draw it up into separate syringes from a glass bottle.The baytril she decanted was from a large plastic bottle.Blue started sneezing again yesterday which has convinced me even more that I have been given the wrong baytri:roll::roll:

I think you're probably right...injectable baytril comes in a bottle with a rubber top, and should really be dispensed into a similar bottle or into syringes. I would have thought that contamination by fungus/bacteria/etc could be an issue using the method you've been told to.

it is the same for Marbocyl FD and all antibiotics I believe, when you fill the syringe it should be completely sterile, and a new needle should be used in the bottle thru the rubber top..

I never dared making an injection, as I heard it can be difficult as the skin is to thick and some products like Penicillin G for example are very thick and syringe should be warmed up in the hands before injecting...

Congratulations to those who make them...

My vet always makes me up syringes directly from the sterile bottle so that everything stays sterile. I store them in an old 'bisto' gravy granules container, it is just the right size to stop me from accidentally plunging them! It does sound as if you have the oral stuff there though :? Oral baytril is liver flavoured if that helps!

My vet always makes me up syringes directly from the sterile bottle so that everything stays sterile. I store them in an old 'bisto' gravy granules container, it is just the right size to stop me from accidentally plunging them! It does sound as if you have the oral stuff there though :? Oral baytril is liver flavoured if that helps!

You haven't........have you !! :shock:

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwww !! :mrgreen:

You haven't........have you !! :shock:

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwww !! :mrgreen:

:mrgreen:
*feels sick at the thought*
I've just realised though - even if I was dedicated enough to do the taste test - it would be pointless as I wouldn't know if it tasted like liver anyhow:lol::lol:

"... it's about time they made carrot flavoured baytril.
Artie xx"

I just had to have a taste and it tastes pretty disgusting,not sure if its liver flavour as Ive never been able to bring myself to eat It.I have a bit left in the glass bottle and Ive just drawn up both lots of baytril and the one I got given the other day is a lot thicker.Thank god it wasnt a drug that could have been fatal if injected!!!!!!!I think some of these vets need a good kick up the bum

I'd be sure to check the dosages tomorrow as well - it's possible that the oral and injectable ones you were given (if indeed that is what has happened) are different strengths so the same volume given could have a significantly different amount of active ingredient. Definitely best to double check.

Back