• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

chemical castration in rabbits

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
i was wondering if anyone knew anything about it?

our vet is loathe to neuter casper due to his heart stopping under the ga...and the fact the abcess hole is still draining from where his teeth were...couldnt get culture done as they tried to save his life instead...and if its pasturella itll spread to any open wound:(

i said is it possible to chemically castrate a bunny like they used to cats..she said yes..but suggested i think on it...which means net surfing i guess!!

in the meantime if anyone can advise suggest etc..most greatful!!

I didn't even know this was a possibility, but I'm sure others with much more rabbit knowledge than me would be using the method if it were safe. I found this information about in on allexperts.com:

"I can't answer you because although I am not an animal rights activist I just can't agree with inhumane treatments. I took an oath and vowed to treat animals as humanely as possible. Chemical castration is an extremely painful procedure and it is actually injected into the vas deferens and not the actual testicles."

and this from Dana Krempels, PhD:

"I know of a few people who have tried chemical castration on rabbits, and this was discussed on the boards for a while. It's not widely used except in cases where a rabbit is a very poor surgical risk due to other factors, such as respiratory infection or chronic liver disease.

I suspect that being injected with calcium chloride would be painful, and that would be my main concern with this option."

So it sounds like it's a very painful process, using a kind of bleach. That's all I could find on it. Hopefully someone knows more!

:shock: omg nooooooo

all i could find was on dogs and it said it had to repeated...omg no wonder ellen was so off with me when she said yes it was possible..im horrified!!

thank you so much for that.....poor casper..no way.

It's not something I know anything about but personally I wouldn't put Casper through anything else at this point he has enough to cope with.

The only reason I can see for castrating him would be so he could be bonded but this would be far too stressful for him at the moment.

How is the gorgeous boy doing? :love:

Sorry I don't know about chemical castration but if he is a poorly bun is it going to cause lots of problems if he is left in tact? If he is paired with a neutered girl obviously it would prevent babies. If his personality is not aggresive and he is not overly amourous I would leave him be. :?

Sorry I don't know about chemical castration but if he is a poorly bun is it going to cause lots of problems if he is left in tact? If he is paired with a neutered girl obviously it would prevent babies. If his personality is not aggresive and he is not overly amourous I would leave him be. :?

Oh, you must not have heard about his love affair with the cat. :lol:

Not sure what advice to give here, but I think it might be safest to just hold off until Casper is a bit more stable and his abscesses have fully drained and healed. Poor little guy. I hope he wins the heart of the cat!

There are hormone implants available (designed for dogs originally) that release the chemical gradually over a period of months and can act as temporary fertility blockers. The only problem is that they have not been validated in rabbits yet. I've used them in other exotic mammals and found them useful but the length of duration of action is not 100% predictable. They are about the same size as a microchip and are placed in the same way, via a large needle.
The usefulness of these depends on why you want him castrated. If it's to prevent breeding then they could be a good option short-term until he is able to be anaesthetised safely for surgical castration (however the complete prevention of fertility in rabbits has not been proven so may not be guaranteed!). Also they will prevent sex hormone related aggression/behaviour so would be beneficial if this was the problem. If it is for health reasons - prevent testicular tumours etc - then they are not useful.

We took in a rabbit Harvey from a nasty market some years ago. He'd been kept next to lots of girly rabbits, and when we got him home and checked him over he had humungous testicles that looked like they were about to burst.
We whizzed him off to vets who gave him an injection in the neck that he said was a chemical castration, and his little balloons deflated over the next 48hrs.
Not sure if this is the same as you're being offered though.

thank you all for so much wonderful input for me:wave:
the implant sounds fascinating i will admit but i dont think somehow our vet would agree..but then again i could try..thank oyu for the info on it so i can tell her about it...thats great!!
mm maybe the jab he had was a temp thing to reduce the swellings asap?

oh my nooo the whole cat affair thing:lol::lol::lol:

poor wee capser has suddnely decided he doesnt use litter trays even when his is out of the cage anymore...he insists on marking with poos and wees everywhere just to let any other bun know hes there and btw the cats his:lol:

he is at this very moment banging his back foot in his cage as zuzu is outside his cage rubbing laong it and hes got soo excited...hes banging his foot because he cant BANG her:shock::lol:

salems the boy cat and loves all buns but sadly for capser not the way hed like..zuzu is his goal but salem wil do:oops:

hes in love with zuzu and shes in lov with him..she adores him..but not in that way either!! hes getting hormonal aggressive and territorial and extremely sexually frustrated...hes making a right din..and peeing everywhere preferably over certain kitty cats as they pass by:oops::lol:

its purely the i want to hump the cats and i want to pee everywhere to show im here..etc etc..and the humpty attitude when he cant get his way!

the thing i cannot figure is...all other un neutered buns ive had who came to me intact waiting to be done or came into their plums...all humped teddies of some sort..slippers if you stood still long enough and even a foot ball as it rolled along..oh yes that was our beloved oscar the mini lop..!!
capser has not been tempted by cuddly toy..furry slippers..human legs feet or arms...to give a good going over to.....hes never even looked twice but hes got his plums alright and hums like a top when the cats appear in view!!

hes bright enough..eats his excel like its going into hiding...and is peeing n pooping fine..enjoying grated carrot and finely shredded salad leaves....but hes looking like hes got mites....need to speak to ellen the vet to see if he can be treated for that too...

he is sending sniffy whiskery kissies and says hello aunty liz...:wave: hello to bunnny parent across this thing mummy calls the pond...?:wave:
xx

Back