• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

is it alright to give capser ivermectin drops right now?

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
he had his teeth out a few weeks past and the abscess is still draining but hes finsihed his flagly a few days ago....
weve found a suspect patch we think maybe mites..just two weenypatches he keeps scratching at and the skin is dry and flaky but onlyalitle....
i said to nikki we should treat him as a precaution as his immune systems taken one heck of a battering last few months at least bless him.
shes all..oh no dont risk it ask the vet etc etc..and then she said..fine mum but only if you ask on your forum..and get some advice.

the stuff i use ive used on all my other buns with no side effects. in fact when bif was very ill after unbonding in jan 2008 she had the worst case of mites ive ever seen on an animal.......and she had the injections at the vets..she had the xeno 450 drops...and the vet was baffled....id given up and saw on here poeple used ivermectin in liquid form form their vets..but ours doesnt do that.

anyhoo i found some ivermectin drop on drops better than xeno 450..you only have to use the drops once a week for three weeks!! indeed i did with bif and after the second week i noticed she was getting better...i used it on al the other buns to prevent them getitng them.

its been used a fair few times and on my mums bunny after her xeno 450 last year. its by pharmaQ and tis about £21 a bottle but its great stuff..and as hes only 1kg or thereabouts then two drops is all hell need.
hes bright hes eaitng drinking running mad pooping weeing but not able to eat hay..his mouth has just stopped him..the swollen mass is the calcified abscess capsule...his heart stopped on the operating table so they did their best. hes so lively hes amazed the vets and they cant figure out how on earth he made it this far..i wished i coudl track the a hole who dumped him at the vets claimng hed found him in the carpark behind the vets and lidl...in the puring rian but bun was clean n dry:censored:
hed left him to get so bad from his injury and have his lwoer lip go necrotic and drop off bit by bit...grrrrrr
anyhoo hes here with us and hes living on borrowed time if the pus leaks again form the other holes left by having his teeth out. but hes having a ball..

I would check with the Vet first.
Ivermectin is a toxic chemical and as Casper has so many other problems I think you should only administer it if your Vet agrees

:)

thank you jane....nikki will be saying...i told you so!!:oops:

hes off meds now but hes had such a rough time.....i was concerned the mites would be terrible for him but then again...so is that...

what do you do when a sick...long term unhealthy bun /disabled bun gets mites...? just curious and am eager to learn xx

As Jane says check with the vet as they do need treating, it is normally the stress of ill health or the disability that causes the mites :)

thank you jane....nikki will be saying...i told you so!!:oops:

hes off meds now but hes had such a rough time.....i was concerned the mites would be terrible for him but then again...so is that...

what do you do when a sick...long term unhealthy bun /disabled bun gets mites...? just curious and am eager to learn xx

If my Vet thinks it's appropriate then Ivermectin is given but I would not administer it without checking with her first as it is quite a nasty chemical.
I also use Assisi Lotion

http://www.bunnybazaar.com/more/on/details/GROOM

It smells lovely !! :wave:

ooh will look into that.

thank you liz..thank you jane...casper says hes very greatful.now if you could stop the itchies for him..scratch scratch scratch...........

bertie and casper are both seeing the vet tomorrow morning..bertie for his eye ulcer and probably more bloods taken to make the serum......and casper for his mites.

well ellen checkd for mites under the microscope whilst we were int here no sign of mites but she said looking at him shed treat him just to be on the safe side and my stuff will be fine...who hoo.

thank you.

Back