• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help diagnosing what my pet died from. PLEASE!

Sarbo

New Kit
Hello everyone, last week my rabbit Rupert, of 7 years of age passed away. In the last three weeks he was hoping around on only his two hind legs, not using the front two. So I called my good friend Julia to come check him out, and she found this gash, that was from him grooming himself too much. It wasn't infected and we put some neosporin on it. The following day I noticed he was laying down, I tried to get him up but he just fell right back down, so I picked him up and went outside. Out there I stayed with him and petted him for a good 20 minutes. Then suddenly his body almost started shaking like he was having a seizure, and a few moments later he opened his mouth VERY wide and started letting out a huge yelping kind of sound like he was in pain, and I knew right there that he wasn't going to survive. He passed away in a matter of seconds. I believe it might have been from a heart attack or congestive heart failure. Does any of my information sound good enough to diagnose the cause of death. I thank anyone who looks at this, and please help, thank you!

Hello everyone, last week my rabbit Rupert, of 7 years of age passed away. In the last three weeks he was hoping around on only his two hind legs, not using the front two. So I called my good friend Julia to come check him out, and she found this gash, that was from him grooming himself too much. It wasn't infected and we put some neosporin on it. The following day I noticed he was laying down, I tried to get him up but he just fell right back down, so I picked him up and went outside. Out there I stayed with him and petted him for a good 20 minutes. Then suddenly his body almost started shaking like he was having a seizure, and a few moments later he opened his mouth VERY wide and started letting out a huge yelping kind of sound like he was in pain, and I knew right there that he wasn't going to survive. He passed away in a matter of seconds. I believe it might have been from a heart attack or congestive heart failure. Does any of my information sound good enough to diagnose the cause of death. I thank anyone who looks at this, and please help, thank you!
I have hardly any experience with this kind of thing, but you could take him to your vet for a post mortem, at least if you found that he died of a diseas you can help preventing it from speading to any of your remaining bunnies.
I am so sorry for you loss, 7 years is a long time for a bun.
X x x x x x x x

What a dreadful shock I'm so sorry you have lost Rupert.He could have got a infection from the original cut which caused septicaemia.The only way to know for sure as Spider has said is to get a post mortem done

What a dreadful shock I'm so sorry you have lost Rupert.He could have got a infection from the original cut which caused septicaemia.The only way to know for sure as Spider has said is to get a post mortem done

I agree.

Personally I would have taken him to a Vet as soon as I noticed he could not use his front legs. At least he would have received pain relief :cry:

I am sorry for your loss :cry:

I have to say I agree with Jane. I am really very sorry for your loss, but 3 weeks using only back legs?! :shock:

A post mortem would help you find out though.

only a post mortem would show the true casue and i suspect it is now too late to have one done my initial thoughts would be septicemiea or possibly shock or heart attack due tro stres sof only using 2 legs for so long. im am hugely sorry for the loss of your dear pet but ido urge you to get al lother rabbits you own checked by a vet and any bunnies who show odd behaviour whatever it may be should be taken to a vet asap i would think pain relief is generally reccomended for most things as we would never want any pets in discomfort. x binky free little bunny x

I am sorry for your loss, as others have said you really need to get a post mortem done if you want to find out for sure. There are a number of things which can lead to shock or heart attack, which may or may not be related to the gash (which in turn may not have had anything to do with his use of front legs, it may just have been coincidence) :?

I'm afraid that without looking at the bunny or knowing every aspect of how he was before he passed we can really only speculate and not give you any strong answers and only a vet can give you a definite answer :(

Alright everyone thank you for all the feedback. Yes I borrowed my rabbit as it Is then obviously too late to do anything. But I did have my long time 4h leader look at him and my aunt who is a vet and they knew the cut wasn't the reason why he wasn't using his front legs my 4h leader felt artritis and she thinks that's why he was only on his back legs. But thank you all for the feedback everyone here has been great and I cant thank you enough for your kindness!

Back