• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not eating HELP.

isla

Mama Doe
I have just got in and one of my rabbits is refusing food. Not dribbling, not runny poo, or tiny poo, not hunched up in a ball.

He is hopping around a bit, but spending most of his time laying on his bell and streching alot. Any ideas? He doesnt usually strech out lot.

Have given metacam as he was grinding his teeth.

Try tempting him with his favourite treats...dandelions maybe. If he still refuses to eat please take him to the vets, as rabbits can go downhill fast.

If he's stretching out a lot then it's possible he has gas, do you have any infacol? Try to keep him moving around and if he gets worse then I'd get him to the vets.

I have infacol and have given him some, now what? I've done tummy massage how long before infacol kicks in, I've been reading up and it looks like it is gas.

I have infacol and have given him some, now what? I've done tummy massage how long before infacol kicks in, I've been reading up and it looks like it is gas.

I normally try to keep them moving around and give tummy rubs. Try syringing him some cooled boiled water as well. Hope he'll be ok x

lots of chasing around... i usually give myself a few hours of infacol, water, chasing about the cage, tummy rubs and annoying Alvin with food.. if after a couple of hours and hes not eating we go to the vets... sometimes its just a bit of gas and goes away as quickly as it came and sometimes its stasis and thats when i need a vet..

sending loads of vibes, but dont leave it too late to get help hun xxxxxxx

lots of chasing around... i usually give myself a few hours of infacol, water, chasing about the cage, tummy rubs and annoying Alvin with food.. if after a couple of hours and hes not eating we go to the vets... sometimes its just a bit of gas and goes away as quickly as it came and sometimes its stasis and thats when i need a vet..

sending loads of vibes, but dont leave it too late to get help hun xxxxxxx

I dont know what to do, he is letting me stroke him and do tummy rubs on the floor and usually he never lets me near him, still not eating.

I dont know what to do, he is letting me stroke him and do tummy rubs on the floor and usually he never lets me near him, still not eating.

make him move... its heart breaking to do, but make him hate you so much he keeps moving.... wave hay infront of him until he bites it and throws it away.... give him 10ml of boiled cooled water... set your alarm for an hours time and try it all again... if he doesnt respond after the 2nd lot of infacol its probably proper stasis and the vets will need to examine him to make sure something nasty isnt going on inside before giving the gut movement drugs...

dont panic yet hun, they do get better :D

eta - last time Alvin stopped eating i noticed at 7.30am.. i did this routine and he started to eat by 9am i was late for work but he was fine.. just a bit of a tummy ache.. but the time before that he had to be admitted because he went a whole day with no improvement even after gut drugs

Last edited:
Charlie stopped eating the other night. (He wouldn't eat treats - that's how I knew something was wrong).
I locked him out of his hutch with some hay and food, and just (harsh as it sounds) prodded him when he sat down so he'd want to move away from me.
I noticed he wasn't eating at 1am...by 4 he was totally fine again. and eating.
I used dandelion to tempt him, I knew if he was going to eat something that'd be it :) First thing he ate when his appatite came back

hope your bun starts eating soon xxxxxx

I panicked and we went to the vet, been given a different pain killer and a gut stimulator, I havent slept in 3 days so really cant remember what they are called atm. Also in science recovery.

Vet said to seperate abbey and nunzeo (its nunzeo the 3 year old male thats ill) and abbey is doing her nut in. He is in a small wire cage in their bedroom, the cage is alway kept in there, but abb's is looking for him.

Keep them seperate?

Did the vet explain to you why you should keep them separate? Personally, I wouldn't separate them, as they need each other for comfort and reassurance. Sending lots of vibes for you bunnies x x x

I used to separate my 2 by a pen if one was in stasis, so they could still see and sniff each other. As you say, you need to know if he has pooed. Best of luck x

Just managed to hand feed some banana, 2 thin slices, and then he seemed to realise that he was hungry, so he is eating hay, redi grass and pellets. Refused grated carrot, but he isnt the biggest carrot fan.

I'm going to risk 2 hours sleep now, I hope he is ok!

He is still eating bits, not his usual amount so he might still have a bt of a sore tummy but, hes eating hay. Going to go buy some posh hay today, and get that down him.

His poo is tiny black ones, so its not hard to see what ones are his and what are abbies, hopefully his will return to normal soon.

I just looking to see what the earlier symptoms are, and how to avoid him getting sick again, really don't want another scare like that again.

He is still eating bits, not his usual amount so he might still have a bt of a sore tummy but, hes eating hay. Going to go buy some posh hay today, and get that down him.

His poo is tiny black ones, so its not hard to see what ones are his and what are abbies, hopefully his will return to normal soon.

I just looking to see what the earlier symptoms are, and how to avoid him getting sick again, really don't want another scare like that again.

I'd make sure you get his teeth thoroughly examined
Take a look at my most recent post on here

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=177208

:cry:

Sending vibes for your Bun

xx

Back