• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

E-Cuniculi

ClareLou

New Kit
Last time I posted it was about bonding a rescued bunny Billy with my rabbit Lupin. I'm pleased to say they now get on like a house on fire.

However, Billy turned out to be suffering from E-cuniculi. Lupin had just had a 9 day treatment when we got Billy & he then had a 28 day course. We've been treating them every 3 months for 9 days with Panacur since then.

The trouble is that Lupin will not take the paste. Billy laps it up. We've tried hiding it in food for Lupin but he either won't eat the food (even his favourites) or eats around the paste, leaving it in a pile on the floor. We've tried pinning him down & squeezing it into his mouth but he bucks, kicks, scratches & bites & we just can't hold him (I'm scared he's going to end up damaging his back.) We end up with paste all over us & none in Lupin. We've also tried smearing it on his muzzle but he just shakes his head & sprays it everywhere or Billy cleans it off for him.

I'm really concerned that he's going to end up picking up E-cuniculi. Is there any other treatment that can be used? And is Billy being treated, enough to prevent him getting it?

I don't want him to get sick!

maybe try the liquid instead... not sure how much easier that would be tho but easier to hide in fruit juice i would of thought :?

Hi I've got a bunny that hates taking it. I use the liquid which I get from the vets I find it a lot easier. I have put it on her food before but she is a bit sneaky. I usually wrap her in a towel and get someone to hold her back while I hold the front and put it in the side of her mouth. I can't really think of any other suggestions.

I'm not sure whether buns are supposed to have it, but i was having a nightmare getting medicine into Teddy, so i started giving him a small teaspoon of probiotic yoghurt with it mixed it, he couldn't taste the medicine and thought he was getting a special treat :)

I find they don't struggle so much if you put them on the floor and lean over them with a firm hand on their back. If you put their back end up against your knees then they can't shuffle backwards either.

I find they don't struggle so much if you put them on the floor and lean over them with a firm hand on their back. If you put their back end up against your knees then they can't shuffle backwards either.

Ha ha!!!! You haven't met Lupin!

I have a 14 pound Frenchy and have to wrap him in what they refer to here in the states as a "bunny burrito". Just use a large towel and wrap it around the bunny like a burrito - worth a try!

Good luck!

Brigitte

Back