• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My baby has sore hocks :(

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
Ok so ive noticed little pink bits on fudges feet when ive been lying on the ground, i cant pick her up as i dont want to stress her too much but i can see that the skin isnt broken but redy-pink :(

Ive got an appointment at the vet on monday so will mention then but what is the treatment? Is it a continuous thing? And how can i prevent it?

I can describe her setup and see how i can improve it if it helps?

Help :cry:

Describe the setup and what flooring she's on.

From my experience, yes, it is continuous, treatment can be frustating, you get worried sick if it turns a tiny bit more red than the day before, and loads of thick bedding and grass can prevent it getting worse. Molly's hocks have got loads better now she's on grass and thick hay. And keep the nails short.

Ok shes an indoor bunny in a NIC cage.
Ground Floor she has sticky floor tiles with a mat/carpet type thing and second level she has carpet, but its not soft carpet quite ruff :?
She has megazorb in her litter tray and then a tray full of hay. She gets towels and blankets upstairs but she prefers to just lye on the carpet :roll:

She gets 6-7 hours free range in my room which is softer carpet with boxes, tubes etc. and a big fluffy blanket that she likes to dig at :roll:

I seen a bed i like in Pets at home for cats that i was going to get but thought it was a bad idea but maybe i should change the carpet to something softer, offer her more soft beds etc and give her more blankets?

She is needing her nails cut, could that be a part of her sore hocks? She is also just finishing her moult does that affect her feet?

I don't know if moulting affects their feet but it sounds like the rough carpet with the long nails could be causing it. She's not a rex, is she? Maybe changing the rough carpet for softer carpet may help.

I don't know if moulting affects their feet but it sounds like the rough carpet with the long nails could be causing it. She's not a rex, is she? Maybe changing the rough carpet for softer carpet may help.

Well she is having her nails done monday was ment to get them done wed but i forgot to mention and she is one bunny that i cant clip her nails (shes a fighter :roll:)

Shes a mini lop!

Ok im on the hunt for some softer carpet, if i cant find soft carpet what else could i use? I cabletie the carpet to the nic grids!

Thanks for the help :wave:

I think it really depends how bad it is Wesley's are tiny and he had them checked, just to put some sudocream on them and make sure he is on a soft surface. He was on carpet but I covered it with a fleece blanket and they have improved. Let us know how you get on at the vets.

Back