• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch size for 2 Netherland Dwarfs

footballgirl

Alpha Buck
Can any anybody help me with the right size hutch for 2 Netherland Dwarfs.

I've been reading other threads about quality and decided to go with Ryedale.

Which is the best material: Plywood or Log-lap?

Should I go with the thicker options of wood?

Finally what size:

This is Plywood: http://www.rehutches.com/doublehutch01.htm

This is Log-Lap: http://www.rehutches.com/doublehutch02.htm

Would greatly appreciate any help as I am slightly confused with all the sizes and if anybody has any other ideas, I would listen too. Although I am unable to do a shed set-up (Dad's fault:lol:)

Thanks

Charliex

I know nethies are small but they really need the standard 6*2*2 size hutch. You could possibly get away with 5ft if it was double layered.

If they have to be locked in for any length of time then I would say you need a five footer, preferably double story minimum, although bigger is always better. If they would have access to a permenant fox proof large run you could possibly consider a 4 ft double story as long as the sleeping compartment is decent but again I would say that if it was my buns and the difference is only twenty quid or so, I would always go for the larger sizes. Twenty quid isn't much in the grand scheme of bunny ownership so it's better not to scrimp now & regret later.

I would go for log lap rather than just plain ply as it will last longer. I'm not sure about the thickness, again thicker is better but if you have to choose between bigger hutch or thicker hutch I would go with bigger hutch.

If you are only able to have a hutch, then the MINIMUM size should be 6x2x2 with a run of at least that size attached for permanent access.

They may only be small but they are very lively and love a good bomb around the garden.

I would definateluy go for a minimum hutch of 6x2x2, or a 5x2x2 double hutch :) Even though nethies are small, they still need the hutch space :) xXx

I would go with the log lap, much better quality :) Mine is a ryedale and is the standard wood thickness, and it's absolutely fine. If I were you, I would spend the extra on buying a bigger hutch rather than on getting the thicker plywood.

As for size - the bigger the better, but at least 5*2. Nethies are every bit as active as bigger rabbits so need every bit as much space :)

Thanks for the help.

Should I go with the two bedding areas or just one?

My rabbits will be out most of the time tbh because I'm only not at home on average 4hrs a week, so they will always have company and be out in a run.

They look a great make and my dad is willing to pay a little extra for the quality.

Thanks

Charliex

Sorry for the double post but have a quick question to ask.

Is it ok for 2 rabbits to share the same bedding area in a hutch? Or does there need to be 2 bedding areas?

Thanksx

Yes they will enjoy sharing the same bedding area and cuddling up together :) But I would still recommend 2 bedding areas - most rabbits use a dark area as a toilet, so by having two bedding areas they can have one as a cosy warm place to sleep and the other as the toilet :) That's certainly what my rabbits do!

Hi,

Im getting a double hutch but im not sure if the height for each floor should be 2ft.

Im getting a pair of netherland dwarfs and wondered if this was the minimum?

Any help please, i'd be grateful :D

I thought I'd write on this thread rather than starting another :wave:

I've recently got my new hutch, a ryedale hutch and very pleased with it:D.

What i want to ask is that in my garden we have a fox every night, we leave food out and encourage all the wildlife to come to our garden. Now i dont want to stop the fox coming, not that i can lol. So is it safe for the hutch to go in the garden?

If not, I want to keep it in the garage but am concerned about ventilation:?

Any help please :D

Thanks

Ryedale hutches look great :)

I definitely wouldn't encourage a fox into a garden where bunnies are kept :?

If you are sure you want to continue this then I would say the hutch needs to go in the garage. This is fine as long as there is some natural light, and the garage isn't used for cars as the fumes are harmful. Ventilation I think would be ok as most garage doors aren't air tight.

Were you planning to put the rabbits out in a run during the day? This will need to be extremely well fox proofed if so. Even if you have only seen your fox at night, he may well start prowling during the day if he detects the bunnies are nearby.

Alternatively you could try to make some sort of fox proof enclosure for the hutch, bolted to concrete and with very strong double layer weld mesh might be ok?

I thought I'd write on this thread rather than starting another :wave:

I've recently got my new hutch, a ryedale hutch and very pleased with it:D.

What i want to ask is that in my garden we have a fox every night, we leave food out and encourage all the wildlife to come to our garden. Now i dont want to stop the fox coming, not that i can lol. So is it safe for the hutch to go in the garden?

If not, I want to keep it in the garage but am concerned about ventilation:?

Any help please :D

Thanks

i would put int o garage provided no fumes iwth a run attateteeched... or could buny be a house rabbit with garden time? x

Ryedale hutches look great :)

I definitely wouldn't encourage a fox into a garden where bunnies are kept :?

If you are sure you want to continue this then I would say the hutch needs to go in the garage. This is fine as long as there is some natural light, and the garage isn't used for cars as the fumes are harmful. Ventilation I think would be ok as most garage doors aren't air tight.

Were you planning to put the rabbits out in a run during the day? This will need to be extremely well fox proofed if so. Even if you have only seen your fox at night, he may well start prowling during the day if he detects the bunnies are nearby.

Alternatively you could try to make some sort of fox proof enclosure for the hutch, bolted to concrete and with very strong double layer weld mesh might be ok?

Thanks for quick response:)

The trouble is I like all wildlife, barring my neighbours cats lol. But its only when we have left over meat from dinner that would otherwise get thrown out.

No, never been used for cars since we've lived here, which is 11yrs. Yeah the door isnt airtight. Trouble is theres no natural light.

Yes but im at home all through the day, everyday of the week, except a couple of hours wednesday and friday. I have seen the fox during the day. Plus when there'll be in the run, the rabbits not the fox, I am more than likely going to be outside with them.

How long do you leave your rabbit(s) out in the run each day? Whats the best ammount for them?

This is the run I have: http://www.petsathome.com/find/keyword-is-runs/product-is-13289

Thanks for the tips

Thanks for quick response:)

The trouble is I like all wildlife, barring my neighbours cats lol. But its only when we have left over meat from dinner that would otherwise get thrown out.

No, never been used for cars since we've lived here, which is 11yrs. Yeah the door isnt airtight. Trouble is theres no natural light.

Yes but im at home all through the day, everyday of the week, except a couple of hours wednesday and friday. I have seen the fox during the day. Plus when there'll be in the run, the rabbits not the fox, I am more than likely going to be outside with them.

How long do you leave your rabbit(s) out in the run each day? Whats the best ammount for them?

This is the run I have: http://www.petsathome.com/find/keyword-is-runs/product-is-13289

Thanks for the tips

hi there,even for nehties id say the run is very small... iwould try and upgrade to a minimum of 6x6ft run area if possible ideally more. my own rabbits are free range in garden while i am home but if i go out are confined to 6x3x3ft huthc and 6x6run (or jsut huthc if raining) they get a minimum of 3hours out ofthier hutches each day and the more time the better for them. i would never leave them in an un lided secure run if you know the fox is aorund it would take seconds to snatch them or even just frighten them to a heart attack (sorry that sounds awful but true) i would let ur buns have supervised time out in garden only but mayeb set upa permenant attatcehd run for huch in the garage? maybe with exsisting run(so not to waste it) so they have extra space when "shut in" x

In that case I would go for a large pen or run in the garage with the hutch either standing inside, or attached so they can go in the run whenever they want. Maybe you can divide off a section of the garage just for them? Then I think I would just take them in the garden run when you can be with them. My own bunnies free range in the garden whenever I'm at home but this obviously isn't an option for you with the foxes about.

I would be concerned that they won't get natural light in the garage. Maybe someone else can advise how much time out they need to compensate for this? Or could you put a window in? I know it will not be cheap but could be worth it.

When are you getting your rabbits? :)

hi there,even for nehties id say the run is very small... iwould try and upgrade to a minimum of 6x6ft run area if possible ideally more. my own rabbits are free range in garden while i am home but if i go out are confined to 6x3x3ft huthc and 6x6run (or jsut huthc if raining) they get a minimum of 3hours out ofthier hutches each day and the more time the better for them. i would never leave them in an un lided secure run if you know the fox is aorund it would take seconds to snatch them or even just frighten them to a heart attack (sorry that sounds awful but true) i would let ur buns have supervised time out in garden only but mayeb set upa permenant attatcehd run for huch in the garage? maybe with exsisting run(so not to waste it) so they have extra space when "shut in" x

Thanks for the info and the honesty, its been such a long time since I've had a rabbit!

I'll look into attaching a permenant run to the hutch but is it all right for them to run about on just the concrete? The garage floor is concrete and I think sandstone type:?
And just answering your previous question, havent got the room for them to be house bunnies and my dad has been working really hard to clear the garage so that by the time I get some rabbits there'll be lots more room.

Back