• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vaccinations and Neutering

Snowy

Wise Old Thumper
This is just a general question following a conversation I had this morning with someone and we had a difference of opinion about it so...

How long after speying or castrating would you leave it before you Myxo Vaccinate a bunny?

Hmm, me too!, I always thought they bunnies should be 'rested' inbetween their neutering and each vaccination but talking to someone this morning they say they have had it done within a day or two.

A couple of weeks, or until the bunny was back to being fit and well. No point immunising if their immune system is compromised in some way. :)

I would have said two weeks, one week at the very least. There's no way that a good vet would imunise only a couple of days after a GA, it's just asking for trouble. I guess you might consider it if you suddenly saw mixi wild buns in your local area really close to your rabbits but otherwise no.

Ive always been told 2 weeks but my friend just had hers neutered and myxi vaccs and vhd vaccs done all in one day:shock:

We generally do myxi vacc week 1, neutering week 2, and vhd on the third week as then the vet can check the neuter wound at the same time.:D

My vet wouldn't give Sooty her vaccination while she was suffering with mites.

We left a clear 2 weeks after she was well before we got it done.

I would do the vaccinations before the neutering. But if the neutering was already done for a boy I would leave it 2 weeks, a girl 4.

A few weeks as I've had problems in the past with bunnies becoming unwell after vaccinations I'd want to make sure they were 100% better.

Thanks everyone, I was just a little worried in case I was doing it wrong as the person I spoke to was quite adamant however it appears I am right to wait in between, I usually wait 2 weeks between vacinations and 2 weeks between neuturing and vaccinations

This is just a general question following a conversation I had this morning with someone and we had a difference of opinion about it so...

How long after speying or castrating would you leave it before you Myxo Vaccinate a bunny?

My vet said at least 2 wks (and he did the mixi jab first)

Yes I agree - if the buns body is busy recovering from a neuter, repairing tissue and skin around the wound and potentially fighting any infection from the wound, the vaccination won't work anyway. I always leave a fortnight between anything and a vaccination :)

Also to note - the cylap VHD takes 21 days to develop immunity whereas the lapinject takes 6 days - another good reason to ask for lapinject, and worth considering if you are having surgery booked in after a cylap vaccine :)

We always neuter first and then vaccinate as our vet is of the opinion that if you vaccinate before neutering then the vaccine will not be as effective after an operation?? Who knows, he is a bit crazy??:lol: Anyway we have stuck with his advice.

We always neuter first and then vaccinate as our vet is of the opinion that if you vaccinate before neutering then the vaccine will not be as effective after an operation?? Who knows, he is a bit crazy??:lol: Anyway we have stuck with his advice.

That's interesting beacause my vet says the same thing

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

By a Vet!

My first vet advised that too - I have a different vet now, but my first 3 buns had everything done on same day.

I now panacur for at least 2 weeks, then neuter/spay, then vaccinate after another 2 weeks, with 2 weeks between each jab.

Back