• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunny - which one?

Hi,

I live with my mum and she recently agreed (with surprisingly little persuasion... actually no persuasion at all!) that we could get a house bunny.

We already have two dalmatians and a cat but the dogs are kept downstairs and whilst I intend to introduce them to the bunny (but obviously will see how that goes!), the bun will live upstairs with the cat who recently adopted two baby buns we had to stay and is missing them!

We're hoping that the bunny will also be company for the cat (although in a pen when we're out so as not to have any nasty accidents) as she recently lost her litter sister aged 12 and is pretty miserable! The bunnies we had to stay really perked her up!

I want a short haired bun preferably but we would also like quite a small breed as the cat's only quite small. We did like the look of the Netherland Dwarf but I'm not sure that it's right for our situation.

Having read about them, I am under the impression nethies are better kept outside as I read that they have trouble regulating their temperature due to the small size of their ears... we do have quite a warm house at times although the temperature fluctuates. Also that they can become bad tempered although this is usually prevented by spaying them early enough.

I would also like to clicker train said bunny and would like a breed that is quite responsive.

I used to have English Spots as a child which I loved but we feel these would be too big for Smitch (the cat), I did look at the himalayan which I believe is quite light but not sure how big it is...

Does anyone have any ideas of a bun that would suit us, our criteria are:
Preferably shorthaired or possibly semi longhaired - I don't mind the grooming as our cat is longhaired but would prefer a short haired breed!
Small - medium, preferably small
Responsive to training
Playful
Laid back where other animals are concerned

Thanks! I know a bit about bunnies and am learning before we take on our new addition but I admit that I have no idea about different breeds!

To be honest the breed doesnt make a rabbit friendly.

Why not ring up your local rescue centre and see if you can go and look around and meet some of the bunnies? Then you will be able to find one that is friendly and you like rather than buy a petshop one and hope it turns out alright.

To be honest the breed doesnt make a rabbit friendly.

Why not ring up your local rescue centre and see if you can go and look around and meet some of the bunnies? Then you will be able to find one that is friendly and you like rather than buy a petshop one and hope it turns out alright.

Fab idea! The rescues know their buns and will be able to help you make the right choice and the rescues are full of GORGEOUS buns!

Thanks,

I wouldn't go to a pet shop. I don't agree with the sales of rabbits from pet shops. (Actually I own a pet shop and whenever someone comes in for an animal I explain why I don't sell them and where they can get a rescue)

I just wanted an idea of size and general temperament of a bun. I'm not against rescues but I am after a kit and the rescues I've seen we're not sure what size they'll get to.

I just feel that it's better I know what I'm getting into at least as far as size and expected temperament goes.

I know a breed doesn't guarantee anything. I have an undersized dalmatian and regularly see dogs of different breeds with very different temperaments but at least it gives me an idea.

Thanks though - I've not ruled rescues out at all.

Last edited:
I would definitely go to a rescue - I volunteer at Thornberry Animal Sanctuary in Dinnington & I know they've got loads of buns in at the momemnt - although no babies. I also do some home checks for Barnsley Animal Rescue Charity (BARC) & again they always have quite a few in. BARC do post their buns in the Rabbits in Need section - bunnymadhouse & mopsmum that are RU members run the buns & gp's for BARC. You could always pm either of them & they'll let you know if they've any buns that might be suitable.

Nethie's can be fiesty - we've got Tiny Tim & his nickname is Gnasher :shock: That said he is adorable if a little challenging. To be honest a rescue will be able to tell you more about the buns personality & advise you whether they think they are suitable or not.

BTW we've also got a gorgeous REW, Noah who adores our cats & thinks nothing more than snuggling up on the bed with all 4 of them! :love:

Feel free to pm me if you want any more help & good luck in finding the right bunny for you :D

Thanks Bunnyaddict.

I was recently in touch with Angie at BARC about something completely different so will get in touch :) And keep looking around as well.

good luck and its great your looking at a rescue bunny:wave: we were talking about another rabbit yesterday a rescue one and i mentioned how about another nethie like my rosie, but she can be very fiesty too, and in her younger days destroyed the house :lol: i love her to bits, but we'll prob just get any rescue bun i fall in love with :love:

I'd say dutch or dutch cross would be a breed to look at... :)
If you wanted just the one bunny, I'd advise you look for one who needs to be a solo housebunny (eg. perhaps previous bonding attempts have failed) so that you're not depriving a bunny from company of it's own species...

If you can only get one bunny & if Angie can't sort you out, have a look at bessie http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=14281 . She is the only bun we would consider letting go as a solo house bun as she has not been easy to bond.

I would agree that nethies aren't possibly the best buns to have if you want one that is even tempered. I have two and they are both nuts. I love them but they aren't snuggly by any means. It is a generalisation as some nethies are very friendly but on the whole they are bonkers and of course are very tiny and get under your feet. I think the ear thing is an urban legend. Most houses are cooler in the summer than outdoors when buns are most likely to over heat!

I'd say dutch or dutch cross would be a breed to look at... :)
If you wanted just the one bunny, I'd advise you look for one who needs to be a solo housebunny (eg. perhaps previous bonding attempts have failed) so that you're not depriving a bunny from company of it's own species...

Yeh this would be a good breed my cookie is a dutch cross and hes only small and they also have nice frindly personalities too!:D

I have two lionheads and they both have the most incredible friendly and nosey natures. They love attention and are always up for a cuddle and fuss. I'd highly reccommend them, though much of it does depend on how they're reared and handled.

Thank you all for the helpful replies :D

Angie, yes that's me! The open day went pretty well and we definitely want to do it again so I'll most likely be in touch to see if you can make another date!

I have found a beautiful little male mini lop at Manchester RSPCA via the rabbit rehome site who I have enquired about. He's a silver fox (I think!) and although I don't know how old, it just says under a year.

I've emailed to find out some more and see if we can reserve him. I've also been in touch with a breeder who sounds lovely and really careful with her buns but have not decided yet. She has a couple available at the end of May and some others on their way so if I don't find the right rescue bun for me she may be someone to fall back on.

Really hoping that 'Monty' turns out to be just right as he looks and sounds adorable! That's if he's still available!

Thank you all very much - will keep you updated and hopefully post pictures of our new addition quite soon!

Back