• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

parents rabbit passed away sudenly

garry1974

Young Bun
my parents rabbit passed away a few days ago.
on good friday the purchased some new turf for there garden and layed it they let the rabbit on it on saturday sunday mon tue on wednesday they noticed bun was a bit quiter and wasnt moving so much was staying in his bedding area.
they checked him and he had some poos stuck to his bum gave him a clean up checked him again through the night a few times and he seem ok but not so active but was moving around etc.
well in the morning when they checked him he had passed away.

they have called b and q who say there is nothing harmfull in the grass.

just wondering could it have maybe been the fertiliser in the grass which may have caused this.

there was no other obvious syptons appart from he was not so active and his eyes appeared glazed over.

I am very sorry for thier loss. They must be devastated.

Would be interested to see any replies on this as we were going to re-turf our whole lawn in a couple of weeks. Must admit I have bought one or two roles before and not had any problems.

Hi

I am sorry to hear the news.

Was the bunny vaccinated?

I'd say it would be more likely to be VHD as a sudden death, than poisoning, however, it is possible of course that it was connected to the turf.

Did your parents request a PM?

This would be the only sure fire way of knowing but must be carried out very quickly.

VHD is the most common cause of unexpected death in rabbits - that's why it's called the silent killer. No outward symptoms until it's too late and then not always.

It could also have been bloat of course if the bunny was allowed to eat lots of new lush grass, especially if he wasn't used to it.

An inactive bunny is a sign of a rabbit in pain and in need of vet care and this would fit with a gut problem, especially with the mucky bottom.

How long was bunny left on the grass for each day? They have such sensitive tummies that the time on grass or any new food for that matter needs to be built up slowly to avoid gut problems. Sorry for your loss :cry:.

So sad to read this.. and so sorry for your loss... I agree with the others :maybe too much grass, maybe vhd, will never know... is the supplier telling the truth when he says no pesticide or other additive etc in it ?

When I pour weedkiller for the 1st time in my lawn last summer, I read the fineprint and it says leave it for 1 mth. min., for human and animal. They said the chemical can cause cancer to human.

So what I did is I leave it for 1.5 mth., and in the end, when it is near the 2nd mth., new weed grows around the lawn, just a small amt., not much, so I know the effect of the weedkiller is definitely gone, and I let my bun out after 2 mth. Fertilizer is different, but if it is liquid fertilizer, then I wouldn't eat the grass after the fertilizer is poured.

Last edited:
I dont trust chemical fertilizers at all they are as dangerous as other pesticids for grass eaters... natural compost is ok after a while... don't let your rabbits, your horses, or whatever grass-eaters you have, graze on chemically treated grass ...

Sorry for their loss. The only think I would say (not that I'm hugely 'up' on these kinds of things) is that it could be if the bun wasn't used to grass, and consumed too much and it upset the digestive system.
x

very sorry for your parents loss. It is always possible that there is some pretty nasty weedkiller on turf (weed and feed type stuff) so you need to get it from a trusted source. Hopefully most places do not cut the turf straight after an application but they may have been unlucky. Buns unfortunatly can turn very quickly, especially if they are eating something new for the first time. It always seems silly to say this but if your bun seems under the weather I would always get them to the vet as you can as you found out loose them in hours to bloat, stasis, a blockage in the digestive tract & mucoid entiritis. As said before there is also a disease called VHD which can kill very quickly if not vaccinated. My guess is that one of these is the true culprit but without a PM it is impossible to say.

Hope your parents are ok :cry:

Back