• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Really have not got a clue what to do now...

amycraig66

Warren Scout
So been bonding for a week now (see previous thread- 'Bonding update piccies!) Alfie has stopped humping Lucy and things were going really well. I bought them a new hutch and put them in it at lunch today. Alfie has started humping Lucy again.
What am i doing wrong? PLEASE someone help me, i feel like it's a jump back again. Do they need to work out their relationship in a new envirnoment?

They will need some time to adjust and re-sort out the dominance in a new environment. Is the humping causing problems? Do they chase alot or does the female show any signs of being aggressive towards the male?

I don't think it's causing problems. She isn't agressive towards him she just runs away. I've only let them have the run of the hutch so it's still a small area. He is doing it quite a lot tho but again it's in between grooming and eating with each other? ahhh i'm so upset about this!

I wouldnt worry too much. It took a while for Strawberry to stop humping but because Snowdrop showed no signs of aggression I just left them to it and it calmed down within a few days.

I would just leave them to it. Have you been separating over night?

No i keep them together 24/7. I just keep thinking am I doing something wrong. He's been chasing and humping her for the past 10 min now and she just runs away

Dont worry your not doing anything wrong. Some pairs just take longer to settle than others. I would just let them get on with it for now and see how it goes.

Dont separate them as you will ruin any bond already formed.

Ok thanks so much for the help. i'll see how it goes...it's so horrible to watch when it's your own little ones.

I know- I was watching my pair and clapping loudly shouting no. In the end I went out for the day and left them and they havent done it since!

yeah well i think thats what i'm going to do. My boyfriend has just told me that we ARE going out and i need to stop stressing about them and leave them to it. So i'm being taken out...i hope my buns are ok while i'm gone. x

:D Thanks Cat.

Well i left them too it last night, when i got back there hadn't been a fight but they were both in different levels of the cage ignoring each other. This morning is kind of the same. Lucy seems a little scared of me and things in general but she has always been my little worrier! Still don't feel that they are quite right yet but it was better than what i was watching yesterday.
I think the main problem now is that they both are going stir crazy and wnet some space to run and stuff. They've been int hutch for 24 hours not so i'm going to open up the run section and watch them for a while. Fingers crossed. x

Well your plan of going out Rachie worked. I was nervous all night but when i got back they were both fine. Kinda ignoring each other. I have left them alone and this morning they were cuddling and grooming each other. SUCCESS!

Thanks so much for your support i would have given up other wise!

Havent been online for a couple of days due to work.I think you just need to persevere with them.From what you said there has been no signs of aggression from either bun-which is good.I think being springtime as well which makes some buns more "humpy" doesnt help.Give them the extra space and see how they go ,I'm sure all will be well.:)

Back