• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Link between dental problems and EC??

louise and Gus

Wise Old Thumper
Well took Gus to the vets today about his incisors

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=176925&highlight=Gussy

The vet was amazed at how fast his teeth had grown, he has never had problems before and was seen 3 weeks ago for a check up...anyway, the vet clipped his teeth and then said he had seen a surprising number of rabbits who have developed unexpected dental problems later in life test positive for EC, He said he is starting to wonder if EC can affect the jaw muscles or ligaments and cause problems so he asked if he could test Gus, so I said yes.

This is a very savvy vet so he knows most rabbits exposed to EC, difficulty of testing etc but he thinks this theory might be a factor in many dental buns.

What do you think?

Anyway Gus is back home and hasn't stopped eating hay since we got back :lol:

I'll remain on the fence re that one as it seems that nowadays everything Rabbit ailment related is being linked to EC !!

Glad to here that Gus is munching well :)

Welcome back from 'the step'............;)

it is possible I suppose although I would possibly have thought that the link is possibly the other way around, i.e. dentals = stress which leads to an active infection. Such a high proportion of buns are exposed to EC that it wouldn't be surprising that any older bun who gets dental problems probably also tests pos for ec.

it is possible I suppose although I would possibly have thought that the link is possibly the other way around, i.e. dentals = stress which leads to an active infection. Such a high proportion of buns are exposed to EC that it wouldn't be surprising that any older bun who gets dental problems probably also tests pos for ec.

Yes this is what I thought, that most older buns would test positive anyway. I say old Gus is only 3 or 4.

Back