• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Anyone's experience ? Necrosis following sub-cutaneous injections

Martine

Alpha Buck
Has anyone experienced this ? I know it happens at inoculation spots in vaccines but also following some antibiotics or rehydratation in sub-cutaneous injections.. and this is happening to Chloé just now as she had quite a lot of these injections for the last 2 months for pseudomonas and stasis, so I just returned from my rabbit vet's replacement as he is on vacation !!!

Because late last night I discovered deep in her fur, while brushing her : 2 lumps between her shoulders' bone covered with a greyish scab and squasms, so I really got scared wandering what it was !!!!

So the vet cleaned and scotch-tested a sample of the scabs to see if there were some fungus or acarians such as mites, mange and fortunately not. So in order to prevent pyodermatis I have to continue cleaning the wounds twice a day with Betadine and Dermaflon cream till it heals..... but it's ugly looking so I'll go tomorrow am just to show the vet to see what he thinks

Anyone ?

Last edited:
:wave:Has someone experienced this ? because I'm very concerned that it takes so long to heal... thank you

Both my buns on Engemycin injections have suffered local skin reactions manifesting as scabs, burns and lumps when the jabs have either been too close to the surface or the abx had congealed in the syringe.

I found they healed pretty quickly though and I use different areas on a rotational basis. I also keep Lex's fur trimmed as it's very thick and hard to inject accurately through.

If it's really serious I would have thought the vet would have suggested an alternative abx.

Thank you :wave: .. those were the reactions I discovered in her fur following all the injections she had... and the vet said it may also be the glucose contained in the rehydratation injections...I just make sure it does not get infected now

Thank you :wave: .. those were the reactions I discovered in her fur following all the injections she had... and the vet said it may also be the glucose contained in the rehydratation injections...I just make sure it does not get infected now

Hope it put your mind at rest. :)

AFAIK Engemycin has an oil in it similar to the VHD vaccine and that causes the reactions we had, I've also got a numb patch on about a square cm of my thumb where I accidentally stabbed myself with a spent sharp (a few weeks back and it's still numb). :oops:

Thank you Sooz but I am going to show the wound to the vet to see if it is OK, because tonight the scab has gone off leaving a red burn bloody looking :oops: but not bleeding .. and the special cream he prescribed is for necrosis and ulcerations... in fact their skin is thick (leather when dried) but the epiderm is very thin...

Hiya,

my bun is on Engemycin injections as well and he developed some scabs on his neck after the injections, the vet recommended to dillute the antibiotics with sterile water (0.7ml E + 0.7ml sterile water) and it seems to help, he has had 3 injections in his tight area as I can't inject in the neck area at the moment and he has had no more burns so far luckily.

hi :wave: and thanks for your input... it seems they all make more or less reactions ; but mine in total and at differents spots, must have had 30 injections in total over the last couple of months (half behind the neck sub-cutaneous, half IM in her rear as she sometimes had morning and afternoon of various substances : antibiotics, re-hydratation, antispasmodic for the statis, and a liver protector...:roll:

They can have "sterile absesses", where the injection hasn't gone through the skin but into the dermal layer. If this is relevant or the same as what you- mean I am not sure ;-)

thank you :wave:, yes it can happen as well, but anyway tomorrow I go to the vet to check it, as it will be the 7th day of treatment, and still not healed although no discharge but it's reddish maybe it"s normal process for cicatrisation as the tissues building up and the necrotic ones are being destroyed by the cream... :?

Back