• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Angel Needs A Dental

Lspacehopper

Wise Old Thumper
Just got back from the vets.

Angel is on a pulse course of Baytril to deal with her respiratory problems. One week on and then 2 off and so on depending on how she's getting on. Her problems are upper respiratory and we manage it with the Baytril and Bisolvon on her food. She also has to have pulse courses of fucithalmic for her eyes too.

I picked up more baytril for her yesterday when I was in with a couple of the ratties and then popped her in today for a check up.

She is going to need a molar dental. Her teeth are quite long and have developed spurs, although the teeth are growing in a straight direction which is good news.

Once she's over this does of 'respiness', she'll have to go for a dental op. She doesn't eat a lot of nuggets/pellets, but might have to give her an amount that's non existent to get her to eat even more hay than she does. I already give her several different types of hay to keep her interested.

Poor little girl, but despite everything she is a sprightly little thing :)

AngelandCo022.jpg

Last edited:
How is she with hay Laura... and do you give her shop bought hay... :)

She munches on her hay, but it's not as if she's chomping on it every time you see her. She has a variety of hay including meadow, Timothy and then 'flavoured', e.g dandelion and herbs

I put softer hay in her litter trays and she goes and sits in them and nibbles.

Obviously, because she's a respy bun, the thought of multiple ops is not a good idea for her.

Yeah, if she's respy you will want to avoid as many anaesthetics as possible.

I've noticed that with some bunnies if you give them pre-packed hay they just aren't as interested, probably because of the dust extraction processes it has been through and then sealed up. I have one here who was eating his hay but not really fussed, I gave him excel forage and herbage, still not interested, gave him farm baled hay and he went to town on it! he's always eating it.

I have some really good quality, stalky hay that is quite coarse and my bunnies are going mad for it so I've bought quite a few bales :oops: If you would like me to send you some down for Angel to try I would be more than happy to.

Awwwww bless her :love:
You may well find that her snotty nose and gunky eyes are directly linked to her Dental problems. An Xray of her skull whilst she's under GA would show if tooth root elongation is the primary cause of her Snuffles.

Good luck for the Dental :)

Yeah, if she's respy you will want to avoid as many anaesthetics as possible.

I've noticed that with some bunnies if you give them pre-packed hay they just aren't as interested, probably because of the dust extraction processes it has been through and then sealed up. I have one here who was eating his hay but not really fussed, I gave him excel forage and herbage, still not interested, gave him farm baled hay and he went to town on it! he's always eating it.

I have some really good quality, stalky hay that is quite coarse and my bunnies are going mad for it so I've bought quite a few bales :oops: If you would like me to send you some down for Angel to try I would be more than happy to.

Thank you, that's lovely of you to offer :) I'll PM you my address and then I'll send your buns something from Angel in return to say thank-you :) x

Oh no Laura, after all poor Angels been through, She's such a lively little girl hope everything goes well. Could she have a conscious dental? I know there are risks involved with both choices.
Give her a big from me:love:

Awwwww bless her :love:
You may well find that her snotty nose and gunky eyes are directly linked to her Dental problems. An Xray of her skull whilst she's under GA would show if tooth root elongation is the primary cause of her Snuffles.

Good luck for the Dental :)

Thanks Jane. I'll speak to the vets about it and get them to have a look at it whilst they can.

I have a week off coming up so provided she's over her respiness I'll be booking her in, so I'll be home with her after the op to keep an eye on her and make sure that she's okay :) x

Oh no Laura, after all poor Angels been through, She's such a lively little girl hope everything goes well. Could she have a conscious dental? I know there are risks involved with both choices.
Give her a big from me:love:

Hi Sue :wave:

She'll have a dental under GA to start with. I'm hoping that this won't be a long term thing if we can manage it. Whilst her teeth are growing straight, we have a fighting chance :) x

Thank you, that's lovely of you to offer :) I'll PM you my address and then I'll send your buns something from Angel in return to say thank-you :) x

Don't be silly. My bunnies don't mind sharing their hay :lol:

I'll pop some in a box, it's worth trying something new if it will encourage her to eat more hay! :)

try not to worry about the op too much.
Our Smokey had a dental and he had severe breathing problems ( he was on an inhaler) , we even got him x-rayed while under to see how his lungs were and he recovered better than some of the healthy rabbits do. As long as your vet is aware and careful, she should be fine, let us know how she gets on.

Back