• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Early stage hock sores i Think?

yoshi&gizmo

Alpha Buck
Hi Fellow RU friends

Just wondered if anyone can help me with dear little gizmo AGAIN :roll:
If you have seen my other posts on here you will see this rabbit seems to be very unlucky. :roll: Just been vets and had a dental and when he was in i asked them to check his heal as he has had a small redish pinkish dry looking scabby thing on his heal[ the size of a pea]. The vet said it could be a hock sore but it isn't infected and to keep a eye on it.
Well i have been checking it each week when grooming him [not that i EVER would groom him back feet of course] and just been checking it to make sure it isn't any worse. However today when i looked it scabby thing is bigger [like maybe the size of 2 peas now] and the other heal seems to be getting one too [size of a pea]
Just wondering is there anything i can do to help him i don't want him suffering with this too. :( He seems to have plenty of fur on his back feet [proper little tuffties on the sides :lol:]
he has a wood base hutch not wire. He has a blacket downstairs of his hutch to lay on and has a towel and paper bedding [as yoshi is allegic to straw so we switched gizmo to soft paper bedding too] in his bed. He does come in and the whole house is carpet he plays in the garden to.
He weighs 2.1kg and is a lion lop. please let me know anything that may help. Don't want to have to take him to the vets again :roll: but will if i have too.
Thanks

I don't have much advice but last night I noticed Bella-our lop has little circular patches of pink fur on her heels. We got her from Erin who said that she has had them for a while and that they haven't got any worse. I'm just going to keep an eye on them.

I found a thread that had some info about prevention...
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=172259&highlight=sore+hocks

I'm not sure if the vets can do anything to prevent hocks developing, but I think keeping them on comfortable surfaces and their hutch clean and dry, keeping their nails short and their weight down will all help. I think having lots of soft hay for Gizmo to stand on is also kind on his hocks.

I hope they don't get any worse and that they don't open, if they do-it's off to the vets asap. Poor little Gizmo!

Last edited:
Back