• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Peanuts new medication...

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
Has arrived.

It is called "Septrin" and is actually a human medicene for children.:shock:

has alot of side effects and risks in children, so god knows what it may do to my peanut :(.

has anyone ever used it and what was the outcome?

x

Yep I have used it with 3 different bunnies now and never had any problems with it at all. It is an anti-biotic.

ETA I think its quite common to prescibe it for bunnies so I wouldnt worry.

really? i was quite suprised as it a medicene for children?

hmmm. maybe it will work with him then

really? i was quite suprised as it a medicene for children?

hmmm. maybe it will work with him then

Yep, I was suprised when it was prescribed for Graham and Strawberry when they both had bite wounds but it worked really well and from reading on here it sounds like a few people have used it. I now use it every time my vet prescribes an anti-biotic as I have the bottle at home and the vet doesnt mind me using it.

ETA: Its banana flavour and Strawberry lurves it!!! He licks it off Snowdrops chin when she dribbles it!

Ive used in for rabbits and piggies with no problems:) for bounty and her bladder infections and for Dandy when he had a snotty nose

Ive used it, Its quite common I think - the next step when Baytril fails (Which lets face it, it so often does :roll:) Hope it works for Peanut :D

Lots of my Buns have been treated with Septrin and none have had any nasty side-effects at all. In my experience it is very well tolerated and as its Banana flavoured most Buns love it.
Infact some will try to snatch the syringe out of my hand to get at it :shock:

oh i feel much better now. thanks everyone.

hopefully he will like it, he hates marbocyl and baytril.

my bun hates the banana taste of the medicine. however he does actually like the fruit banana, so i have to put the medicine in the banana to disguise it! what a weird rabbit i have!

Well be warned if he likes it as much as some of mine he'll chase after you for an extra dose :shock:

Strawberry would bite my arm off for another dose!

He was guttered last week when Snowdrop was on the medicine but he wasnt. He can smell it as soon as its been opened and we had to put him in another room as he was trying to take it out of her mouth!!!

Sounds to me like the vets were just being very negative in their warnings because it's not an animal medicine - but it is actually hugely widely used in rabbits for a whole host of things - it works not only on some bacteria and can be used to treat snuffles, for example, but it can also help in outbreaks of coccidiosis.

I honestly wouldn't be any more worried about the use of septrin than I would about the use of any of the other abx. Santa has had it before, and I've used it on other buns I've fostered previously too. I've never had any problems with it :)

As Jane says, it's banana flavoured too, so much less stressful to give than some of the other more yukky medicines!

hes just as bad giving it orally as he hates it, hes no better. but, i tried it on some food as he was being stressy and he ate it, hes never even meds of any food before, he doesnt like it. so i think he likes the flavour.

Back