• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think I have a difficult decision to make RE: Mack. U/D: He's gone.

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
I am pretty sure I have found another abcess on Mack's jaw last night during his dailiy flush. It is in a new position entirely to the previous ones and my only explanation is that the infection may be travelling through his mandible.

I've got a really tough decision to make and I am very much torn between my head and my heart at the moment....I promised myself after the last one that I would not have him operated on again, he has had 3 ops and 4 abcesses in six months, been to the vets on at least a weekly basis, developed mites from stress, his weight yo-yo's constantly and every day I have to pry him our from under his shelter to burrito him and clean his wound which stresses us both out beyond belief. Sometimes he even squeaks. :cry:

He also had a local skin reaction to his engemycin injection last week, though this has now subsided.

My head says we still have options and my heart says he has no quality of life if we continue treatment. I'm so torn, I don't want to give up on him after all he's been through but I equally want whatever I do to be in his best interests and not mine. :cry: :cry:

Last edited:
It's such a hard decision.

When Charlie was alive and had her whole run with abscess etc, I kept having her treated and convinced myself that she had a good quality of life. I never doubted that, probably to avoid making 'that' decision, then I lost her under anaesthetic because she had obviously had enough.

It was actually a feeling of relief, not that I had lost her as I was truley devastated but that I hadn't had to make that decision and she had chosen to give up herself :cry:

However, looking back now I do think she was suffering. She hated having meds etc and I put her through that every day for my gain I think. I think only you know your bunny so follow your insticts.

Oh no Sooz - poor Mack :(. Sending loads of vibes for him and hugs for you. It must be so hard for you both. Wish I could help or offer some magic advice, but I can't, so just know I am thinking of you both xxx

At the moment I don't need to make the decision to have him PTS. He would be perfectly happy if only I would leave him the hell alone.

What I need to decide is if I withdraw his treatment (or certain aspects of it) knowing that in the longrun it will result in PTS BUT a better quality of life for him, although the decision on when to let him go will most likely be mine to make.

I have no way of knowing how long his life will be exended by using either approach, just an inkling on the quality of the time he will have.

That is so difficult... I actually think that's an even more difficult decision than I made with my 2, so my heart goes out to you. :( x

Such a difficult decision. I really feel for you. :(

Im sure whichever path you choose to follow with Mack will be the right one as you know him best and know which would be the most comfortable and best quality for him. :wave:

When an ear abscess didn't clear up in my two bunnies (yes, both of them had the same ear abscess and needed the same op) after months or treatment, and when Pippa's skin started being sore from injections, my vet and I decided to operate on both bunnies.

Pippa was slightly underweight and almost 8 years old, so quite a high risk. Sunny was nearly 7, though perfectly fit and healthy. I took the risk with Pippa too as it was either her suffering through further treatment that didn't seem to get us anywhere... or a high risk op!

She came through the op, but died 2 weeks later as her body was just too weak! I have however never regretted doing the surgery! Keeping the treatment going wouldn't have been fair... we gave her the best possible chance and it wasn't meant to be! She was at peace then and out of pain and discomfort, which is all that mattered to me!

Sunny came through the op fine and recovered fully... but a very aggressive cancer killed him a few months later!

So in your situation, where you feel that your bunny is now suffering and hating his treatment so much with little hope for recovery, I would probably withdraw his treatment and just give him the best possible quality of life for the rest of his days!

But of course, he is not my bunny, and you are the only one that can make that decision for him.

Vera

Bless you such sad news. We made decision years ago after Sweep got Flystrike and watching the treatment that she had to go through (we were having to bath her everyday poor sod) that if she got it again then we would pts as it was cruel (lots more known now wish was back then) year later it happened again and I still blame myself as I went out that morning for couple of hours then came home to wash her instead of doing it other way round. There were maggots starting to hatch so we took her...We always ask why?
My only answer is that God simply needs another Angel by his side and that this is his chosen one.
But even though it upsets me any animal like this I know life does go on (dont want to offend any religions here) but she comes back and I have saw her with my own eyes playing with my 2 bunnies HONEST.
I know its a very hard decision do you continue or do you stop completely I just want you to know my heart is with you and what ever you decide IS the right one!

My heart really does go out to you. I have to subject Peppers to my messing him around with mandible abscess draining, flushing and manuka filling etc, plus abx and just think he must associate me with everything bad.

His abscesses seem to move up and down his jawline and after his 2nd lot of surgery in 6 weeks, last Spring, I did make the decision not to put him through anymore surgery, because the last lot was so invasive and really knocked him for six. To be honest I didn't expect him to get to the winter and said to the vets, I would just love one more summer with him.

Well he's just been an inspiration and I've no idea where he gets his spirit from. I am lucky in that the abscesses rupture through the skin and although I am not kidding myself that they will get him in the end, at the moment he is happy, his coat is good, he's eating well and playing like a two year old and I really couldn't hope for more. As soon as he's had enough I will have to call it, but for now, I just value every day I have with him. I hate what I have to put him through to check him, clean and pack the site etc... but it's what's helping to keep the infection manageable and what's helping him to keep up his quality of life. While he wants to live and play, I will carry on, when he's had enough, I will have to make that awful decision, I'm trying not to think about it.

Mega vibes for Mack and to you too, I've no doubt you will know when the time has come, as will he. It will be a joint decision I'm sure. Hugs to you both.

Sooz such a hard decision

You have been so good with Mackenzie and done more for him than most people would.

My feeling would be to leave him be to enjoy whatever time he has left..bunnies don't have a concept of time so if he has 3 wonderful weeks or 3 wonderful months...it will be what he remembers.

That is my opinion but whatever you decide I'll support you ..hugs to you and noserubs to the little chap xxxx

When Bobby had has jaw abcess, he had it operated on - removing the offending tooth and tooth root, and he had the abcess drained 4 times after that.
I admit to leaving him alone for the most part, as it was obvious that the treatment was stressing him out and that he was quite happy with his Ruby and living life stress free.
He lived for a year after I noticed the original abcess. I discussed the options with my vet and she thought that nothing was going to cure it, but may prolong his life a little. I took the decision to let him enjoy what he had left.
In the end, he fell asleep in a sunbeam with his beloved Ruby at his side, and just never woke up again. He knew it was his time.
Of all of my bridge bunnies, his is the passing I feel 'happiest' about. I feel that Bobby lived life as he wanted to, and had a good 6 years here with us.

Tough decision for you, and sending our love.

I am sorry Sooz :cry:

I think what is right for one Bun wont be right for another. Some Buns cope well with lots of hands on care/treatment and it just becomes part of their routine. Others find even minimal handling terribly stressful.

I am sure you will make the right decision for Mack.

xx

ohhh soz ... im so sorry you ae faced with this ...

all i can say is that when we were treating Star ..one of our rescues who had an abcess on his jaw he hated what we had to do ... i said when we lost him that i wouldnt put a bun through it again if the bun seemed stressed or upset by the daily treatment ...

i think you will make the right decision for Mack ...

sending hugs xx

awwwww hun... huges hugs to you xxxxx

if it was me i would opt for Quality of life over a prolonged life...

basing this purely on my experience with my dad, the doctors prolonged his life but the the quality was so poor, had we known how bad it would be we certainly would of opted for a shorter but more enjoyed time.

Thanks for all your input folks, much food for thought.

I will let you know when I have reached a decision, although deep down I am sure I have known what it should be from the second I found the lump last night...it's just pushing through the emotions to reach it. :(

Big hugs hon - I am having daily struggles with Squirrel at the moment and know exactly how you are feeling. From an outsiders point of view I think I would agree with Jill and give him the best life possible in the time he has left.x

i understand where youre coming from. Peanuts abcess wont go away no matter what and hes been having meds everynight for god knows how long. He runs away when he see's me, and i have to pick up whatever hes hiding in and get him, and he hates it and i feel so bad.

Im going to be at a similar crossroads in about 2 weeks time when peanut goes under for a third time. after that i think i will say, no more, its not fair. but its easy to that when it doesnt seem real.

I dont have any advice. But i think you have to look at it how he is coping. Peanut gets very stresses during meds and vet trips, but when hes by himself/with jelly hes a very happy bunny. he still binkies and is genuinly happy. occasionally he looks uncomfortable but on the whole hes good.

if i looked outside a saw a sad bunny who didnt want to play my decision would be very different.

each bun is different and i know you will make the right decision for your special guy

Oh Sooz, I am SO very sorry to hear this! :cry: :cry: I know how incredibly much Mac means to you.....and you two have been battling this together like a team for SO long now. :cry:

I would have to agree with Jill and Donna and the others.....if he were my bunny, I am pretty sure that I would withdraw the stressful treatment and just let him have THE best quality of life possible until he knows his time has come. He might just surprise you by carrying on for quite a long while.....and being happy and stress free in the bargain. Only you can make that decision in the end, and as you know Mac SO well, you are more than qualified to know what is the best thing in his particular case. ::hugs:: xxx

Thinking of you both. xxx

Well it's been five days now since I found abcess 4 and I am astounded by just how aggressive this one is, it has already crossed his jaw line and protrudes slightly above his chin on the right-hand side.

In this time the only hand-on treatment he has had is the continuation of his engemycin injections, one every third day, as the hole leading to abcesses 2 & 3 is no longer accesible for topical treatment.

Yesterday he was in the garden and it's the happiest I have seen him for a long time, he was binkying like a good 'un. So, in short, I've decided to only continue with his injectons and nothing else. Going by the progress the abcess has made in the past few days, if it continues at this rate I would say he has at most maybe 8-10 weeks but if the progression slows it could be longer. I can't really say for sure, however I think this one would beat us regardless what we attempt to do with it.

For him now I think doing nothing is the kindest option until the time comes when it is causing him discomfort and the quality of life a hands off approach can give him has diminished again.

I have, at last, made up my mind...and I won't be changing it. :(

Back