• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Easter Bunny Miffy

Lucy

Warren Veteran
1zcmg6o.jpg

15ofo6a.jpg

24ffhhh.jpg

This is the unfortunate but all too true story of Miffy the Easter Bunny.

When she was a tiny bunny and just a few weeks old, Miffy was bought from a pet shop at Easter 2008. She was sold to a young girl and was told that she was a small Dwarf or Netherland breed. As you can see from the photos, she is far from small!

This is the hutch that the girl was also sold at the same time. She was told that it met current RSPCA guidelines for keeping a small single rabbit. At first glance, it does not look too bad, until you realise that the internal dimensions are only 38” wide, 14” deep and just 28” tall. That means each shelf is only 13” tall!

1q0268.jpg

The small size only hits home when you actually see Miffy inside the hutch. Even the following photographs do not give a true impression of the cramped conditions.

64476r.jpg

v4qcl4.jpg

In the bottom of the hutch, Miffy’s ears are permanently brushing the ceiling, even when she is crouched down. You can see how large she is … that is a red cat litter tray that is also way too small for her!

In the top of the hutch, it appears that she has a little more room to stretch out in. That is until you realise that she is dangerously perched on a thin shelf that is only 7 inches wide!

As a result of her confined living space, Miffy started to develop very aggressive behaviour towards her owners. The boredom and stress has also caused her to eat most of the wood on the inside, so the hutch is only held together with a wing and a prayer.

It is now Easter 2009. Fortunately for Miffy, her owners have finally agreed that they are not providing Miffy with the home that she truly deserves. She is now in safe hands at the RSPCA Walsall and enjoying more space, freedom and attention. She has not shown any more signs of her previous aggression and is soaking up all of the fuss and attention.

We are hoping someone will want to give Miffy a second chance at a forever home.

Last edited:
Aww! poor miffy :(
Atleast she can now try and find a home where she will have lots of freedom and proper care :love::love:
She is a big girl! As big as my harvey was... :roll::)

Ok so they were sold a hutch that was too small BUT surely anyone with half a brain would realise, once the bun was fully grown, that the accomodation is way too small and upgrade accordingly :?

So glad she now has the space she deserves :D

That's the problem, isn't it? When I first got young teeny tiny guinea pigs years ago, I bought a cage that was labelled up as being suitable for 2 guinea pigs. In fact, it wasn't even big enough for one, so I soon realised it was far too small as they grew. Pet shops and hutch/cage sellers generally are to blame, but there is no excuse for leaving an animal in such an unsuitable hutch. :(

Hope she's enjoying her space now - she's gorgeous! :love:

She's gorgeous Lucy.

Please can I have permission to use this story for the Make Mine Chocolate examples of Easter buns, although I appreciate that they have had her for a year so it's not strictly the impulse buy that was given up immediately?

Helen

:( poor Miffy - I'm glad she's got more space now.

Lucy - your post would make a good forward email thingie-me-jig :oops: about rabbit welfare/hutch sizes

She is so pretty, the poor little mite :(

Glad that her owners saw sense/came out of denial/(insert other reason here) and agreed to pass her over to you. I hope she gets a happy hoppy forever home quickly :thumb:

Have they given up their tiny hutch too so they can't be tempted to put a real dwarf breed in there? :roll:

:cry: Poor Miffy in that hutch.

Glad to hear she's enjoying her new surroundings - a very pretty bun she is too:love:

She's gorgeous Lucy.

Please can I have permission to use this story for the Make Mine Chocolate examples of Easter buns, although I appreciate that they have had her for a year so it's not strictly the impulse buy that was given up immediately?

Helen

Of course you can. the pictures don't really show her size, although she is not a giant, she's not far off in size, she is a large large bunny.

She is so pretty, the poor little mite :(

Glad that her owners saw sense/came out of denial/(insert other reason here) and agreed to pass her over to you. I hope she gets a happy hoppy forever home quickly :thumb:

Have they given up their tiny hutch too so they can't be tempted to put a real dwarf breed in there? :roll:

Yes, the hutch has gone too. We always try to remove hutches where we can :)

Heartbreaking :( Good job she didnt end up at mine... dont think she wouldve ever been leaving... :oops:

That would be a good story for the E&S man :) xXx

It'll be a couple of months before we canm rehome her as she is currently too fat to be spayed. Her fosterer is cracking the exercise whip and hopefully she can be spayed soon.

Poor Miffy :( a whole year in that tiny hutch, its sad to think some rabbits spend all their life in a hutch like that or even smaller :(.
Glad she is in the RSPCA now and hopefully she will find a beautiful home where she will have lots of space and many cuddles xx

Aww, Poor Miffy. It is shocking to see how small that hutch was.
I hope she finds that loving home that she so deserves, she is sooo gorgeous!

Back