• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

lead for my rabbits?

me+myrabbita

Young Bun
i was just wondering if a lead would work to stop my rabbits running under the shed?or would they just chew through it?

Hello! :wave:

I don't know the general opinion of leads and harnesses on here, but I tried it once, many moons ago, and it did not work out very well :roll: I was in the bad books for at least a week afterwards (and yes, they would probably chew through it if they got the chance :lol: )

I'd go with the meshing off under the shed idea, it's a good one ;)

I used to have one for mopsy, but I got her when I was 9 and got her used to the lead thing straight away. For that reason she was ok with it. But I hardly put it on her, only for a stretch round the whole garden.

I dont really think they are the best things ever now though, they can be dangerous.

I go with the idea to mesh the bottom of the shed :D

Not sure if you mean tie them up when your not around? But if this is the case please dont. Another forum member had her rabbit outside on a long lead and he spooked, got his leg caught and broke it :cry:. Also if you mean lead them you wont be able to take both anyway as they have to lead the way you cant pull them. I had a lead and harness for Milo years ago but wouldnt use one again :).

When we had rabbits when we were young, we had leads for them and they were fine.

A rabbit that I had when I was an adult got the lead caught round her leg even though I was very careful when walking her. Her screams were awful as she panicked and tied herself up in knots round the lead. Luckily I freed her in a matter of seconds but I never used a lead again.

I too would block off the bottom of the shed as tethering a bunny up could do it more harm than good :wave:

My personal experience with Leads/Harnesses - I only use harnesses for vets trips.. my rabbits are more relaxed being able to look out of the window, and hop into the foot well. They are more inquisitive and like sitting on my lap sniffing the car door.. window... or anything they can safely reach :) When I am not driving that is!

The carrycase seems to produce stressed out fast breathing, hot eared buns. 3 of my buns have worn harnesses since they were 12 weeks old and the other buns have never known any different since coming to live with us.. the only exception is Flossie who I adopted from FatFluffs.. she was really nervous and didn't like being held that much, and so for her VHD jab she and Crackers snuggled in the carry case together. I wouldn't try a lead on her to be honest.. I do think she would resent it. I would never force anybun to wear a harness if they were not ok with it or were jubious about being held.

Toshi my bridge bun loved having his harness on and would trot off up the road and take me for a walk, whenever we got home from the vets! But he was the one who was most used to the harness and would walk on it, not pull or jump or panic etc like most rabbits will. I have previously had rabbits who do not like harnesses and so they travelled in the carry case.

I know many people do not like the use of harnesses on rabbits. But given the fact mine do not mind them, I do not mind them.. but would not use them regularly / for taking my rabbit for daily exercise (their original intention when designing them perhaps!?) rabbits love to run free in a secured garden.

im going to mesh off underneath the shed thats more safer. im still thinking about taking them on a lead to the vets though.

im going to mesh off underneath the shed thats more safer. im still thinking about taking them on a lead to the vets though.

Sorry but thats a really bad idea, as said put them in a carrier. Rabbits are prey animals, you can't just put them on a lead and take them to the vets like you would a dog.

I think leads for rabbits are best used in experienced rabbit handlers who know their rabbits and know how to handle them.

Get rid of the lead and harness. Bin it. Take your bun to the vets in a carrier case. Taking buns to the vets is stressful enough without putting them in a harness unless you know what you are doing.

Sorry but thats a really bad idea, as said put them in a carrier. Rabbits are prey animals, you can't just put them on a lead and take them to the vets like you would a dog.

Whilst I am not saying either opinion is right or wrong, 11 out of 13 buns I have had, have gone to the vets on a harness, carried and snuggled in their blanket.. purely because I have always found the carrycase stresses them out (being cornered/trapped etc) And the difference in their behaviour shows clearly they feel more relaxed on a harness. After one of my buns was so stressed out in the carrycase even the vet thought he was going into shock, I only use a carrycase for a "stay at the vets" visits now.

If your bunny is too scared to wear a harness, prefers to be in the carrycase or you are not very confident and experienced in holding and carrying your rabbit in your arms (incase they escape) etc then no I wouldn't use a harness. The rabbit being happy and safe, is the ultimate aim for any owners.

Our dutch Rosie came to PAH for a nosey after her jab at the vets, she was like a pig in muck all the attention. But I knew she was content in new surroundings and anyone that meets her comments on her confidence and how she is unphased by things. (Just like Toshi was!) She may be a prey animal, but like a few of my rabbits - she is very confident, comfortable to investigate new things and does not get freaked out at the slightest thing. (she was a GSD toy for the first 2 years of her life till we took her in!)

I wouldn't do anything that I thought may scare or harm any of them.

I think it is down to the rabbit as to whether a carrycase or harness is preferred.. but no you cannot treat them like a dog, this is true.

For me there are far too many things that could go wrong. Even a very relaxed rabbit could get spooked especially if a dog were to try and go for it in the waiting room, you can't predict what that animal will do. Its up the owner and rabbit but I wouldn't risk it.

I take my buns to the vets in the dog carry bag (bought for our dog ages ago but never used for him) its small and cosy and they can't see traffic or anything. I find its much more relaxing then a carrier and easier to get them out of while in the vets :)

Our vets stipulates that all small animals must be in a carrier - it's just too risky if there's a dog in the waiting room.

It's got to be less stressful for them to be in the safety of a box. My rabbits are always really nervous of 'new' areas in the house, let alone a vets waiting room with scary big dogs and new people. They don't particularly like the carrier because they know where they're going! but at least I know they are totally safe in it.

I think a harness and lead is TOTALLY about 1) handler experience and 2) the rabbit itself.

Collar - will not have a lead attached. He hates it. Doesn't have a problem with the harness but eats the lead in seconds. Therefore we never ever put him on the lead. It stresses him and as he is fantastic at escaping anyway it would just cause problems.

Sasha - an entirely different kettle of fish. She loves it and having had all her jabs enjoys a potter down the road to sit in a big pile of dandelions! We got her from a pet adoption centre at approx 9months old and she was scared stiff. But now she is gradually overcoming it. It is sweet to see her spook at something then only moments later go and investigate it. When she spooks she is comfortable enough with me that she dives back into my lap.

Scrabble - was the best bunny ever! I hand reared him as his mum rejected him and I was asked to look after him. Being a youngster myself I was all for harness and lead and he aclimatised quickly. He soon didn't need it, would follow me everywhere, come when called, keep the dogs in check and kick my grandfather out of his chair in wait for me to return. Put him on the lead and open a car door and he'd be in and sat waiting!

So you see leads are entirely about the bunny. Some throw somersaults and tantrums and shouldn't be put through the stress but some love it. Children should NEVER be given leads without a suitably experienced bun handler to supervise. Injuries are easily caused without correct and proper useage.

Me and Sasha out sized a chihuahua this afternoon (she is carried whenever there is a possiblilty theres a dog about).

Our vets would not allows you to take a rabbit in one a lead it would have to be in a carrier.

All my rabbits are harness-trained except Cloud (who came to me as an adult and is pretty scared of people so I don't want to stress him further:?)
I mostly only use them when I don't have a run available though (like in the winter since they just snow down) also NEVER leave a rabbit wearing a harness unattended.
I wouldn't take them to the vet in a harness either. At the vets I often encounter dogs and other animals which could scare the rabbit, and a rabbit running of in panic wearing a harness isn't good. They may injure themselves, which is why I often let them go if they get too agitated.
Also the lead can get stuck around a leg, if the lead gets pulled while the lead is on the rabbits foot it can hurt them. And yeah... Zakura chewed over hers within seconds:roll:

They don't seem to have a problem with the harness or lead once they've gotten used to it (preferably from a young age, but not younger than 3 months because their bones are still soft). I've tried them on some older buns at school who would lie flat on the ground and refuse to move... but even this female was fine with it later.
So far I haven't tried on Cloud because he gets scared enough by me merely touching him, also I haven't yet had a reason to use it (He normally just runs loose on the shed floor)

Back