• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gut stasis advice needed please

loobie_lou

Mama Doe
Hiya all,

Well Cleo has gut stasis, so I'm just preparing myself for the night ahead.

If I set my alarm for every 2 1/2 hours and feed her the recovery food... will this be ok? How much should I aim to get down her, and also how much water should I syringe feed her?

Thanks,

Lou x

Hi, sorry to hear about Cleo. I usually aim for a small syringe each feed (i think that's 5ml). water-wise i'm not sure, just as much as you can i guess!

Hopefully one of the more clued-up members will be on soon to help you!

Hope you get on ok x

oh no :(

when alvin has stasis i give him 10ml of water every hour (timer set from when i got the last bit in which can take a while in itself)

i dont actually force feed anymore after reading what Elve posted ages ago cus her bun died after being force fed on a vets advice :shock:

and as jane says.... pain killer is the key :D

:shock: What happened to Elve's? I must have missed that post.

was a few months possibly even a year ago... her bunny had stasis and she was given stuff to force feed but i think there was actually a blockage and the poor thing died :cry::cry:

if you ask Elve shes very anti vets as a result of bad treatment of her littleuns... i know half of RU dont agree with her ways, but she has valid points... smart lady that one :D

was a few months possibly even a year ago... her bunny had stasis and she was given stuff to force feed but i think there was actually a blockage and the poor thing died :cry::cry:

if you ask Elve shes very anti vets as a result of bad treatment of her littleuns... i know half of RU dont agree with her ways, but she has valid points... smart lady that one :D

Gosh - how awful! :cry:

Thanks for filling me in. :)

Lou as your Vets have ruled out an obstruction then try to get Cleo to take 10-20ml per 2 hourly feeds. You can do 10ml feed and 10ml water.
Try some very gentle tummy rubs but if she shows discomfort then stop.
If you can get her to take some hops about that will help but her recent spay might make her more reluctant to move so dont force the issue and stress her out.
Keep her warm, a heat pad will help her maintain her body temperature and it will be comforting.
If you have any Infacol 1ml of that at each feed may help reduce a gas build-up.
Personally I'd not feed Pineapple Juice as the Vet suggested. It contains alot of sugar which is the last thing Cleo needs, especially as Hilda says the Vets gave her a shot of antibiotics.

I hope she starts to feel better very soon

xx

Thank you everyone. Well I.ve only managed to give her 3ml of the recovery this time =( Not being helped by the fact the syringe isn't sucking up well =( She's had about 10ml water thru the syringe and I.ve just let her have a hop around. Noticed that the carrot top in her cage may have been nibbled...will update at next feed, going to sleep now xx

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=124510

all you need to know about GI stasis

Every 1Kg of bunny weight, get 100 ml of food inside him per 24 hr. Your bun needs a huge amount of water to supercharge his GI stasis. So I would go w/ pineapple juice, apple juice or blackberry juice, among others.

To induce his diet, I would try this instead of Sc. recovery or critical care (as they don't taste good):

Get some blackberry or raspberry, smash it via juicer. You need about 6 oz. Get some hay stem, cut the stem in 1 mm length, mixed it w/ the blackberry. Put the mixture in a 35 ml syringe and force feed your bun. Your bun need the fiber to survive. You want to induce her diet, and blackberry + hay mix smell and taste good.

Last edited:
Not good, still not passing or eating unaided :cry:

xx

Can you ask the Vet for *injectable* meds ?
Some subcutaneous fluids would be a good idea too.
Is Hilda about today ? I am sure she will help if she can.
Pain meds, gut motility meds, fluids and warmth are what Cleo needs and giving meds via injection will work better if she's in stasis.
As said in my previous post I'd avoid all Pineapple Juice/Fruit Juices as the sugar content risks setting off a gut dysbiosis especially as she's had abx

More vibes on their way

xx

Could you ask the vet to put her on IV fluids for 24 hours? At least then you know she is hydrated, and you can build on that?

My Toshi started off with stasis and his condition worsened as vets didn't seem to think it was as bad as it was - even though they did xrays! But he did have a partial blockage so his case was different.

If I learned anything from Toshi's passing it is that time is of the essence and if your vet doesn't offer the correct treatment - tell them you want it. I regret not being a lot more "forceful" and really wish I had demanded more treatment sooner than I did.

He refused to drink plain water and I tried avipro as Jane suggested.. do you have any in? Bio Lapis sachets from the vets (also called protexin powder) also has a similar effect encouraging them to drink the water, and has probiotics in them.

Have you ever heard of the protexin pellets from VetUK? They are full of fibre and promote good gut / digestive function... but best of all (my buns) they think it's yummy!

To get a good liquid feed, I whizzed the normal SS pellets in the processor to a fine powder.. then added boiling water, mixed it all up and let it cool - it was easier to get into the syringe, and it was his normal food which he loved so he would willingly take it.

Good Luck and Loads of vibes x x x :D I hope she is on the mend real soon x x

Sending vibes, are you keeping her moving and massaging her tummy, also a heated bunny pad helped Biscuit when she had it.

Hugs

Clare xx

Back