• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What are they doing?

Hopper

Mama Doe
Ok Little dilema. I keep going up to buns at night to put them away in cage for night, like I have just done now and the cage is flooded where water bottle has emtied out. At 1st i thought it was the bottle so replaced it, but no kept happening. I've changed the bottles 8 times now and its still happening, so it must be something they are doing? But what?

I use big bottles and the cage gets absolutly flooded. Ive cleaned it all out and all dry now, fresh water, which they was thirsty bless them. It knid of worries me, esp overnight as if it happens early in night they have no water until next morning and have a soaked cage (though they do have a level to go on)

Any ideas?

ETA, They always have 2 bottles aswell, one in run but seems to happen with all the bottles?

Last edited:
Can you not use a bowl? Most bunnies prefer to use a bowl given the choice as its more natural. Will solve your bottle problem :).

I did try a bowl but dreama throws bowls of any kind around so still floods the cage? Not sure why, i use heavey bowls also but she manages to up root them and food and water go flying.

Are you sure the bottle is leaking or are your rabbits just drinking alot?

They could be over drinking so weeing plenty:?
May be worth checking and maybe panacuring them or getting them vet checked

Ceramic bowls are pretty hard to throw, and there are also some metal dog dishes that have sloped sides so they are impossible to tip.

Even if you find that those sneaky bunnies are doing something, it's probably impossible to stop the little cuties from wrecking havoc. I definitely suggest using a bowl. :)

Nope definatly leaking bottle. the cage part that is flooded is right where bottle is, its absolutly sodden to point when i take the fleece out its dripping off there and a pool of water underneath. Plus there litter tray is being weed in as normal. With 2 huge bottles on there and emptying so fast, pluse whole surrounding areas soaked through they are definatly leaking.

I have a thing about making sure animals have plenty of water. They dont drink the whole amounts there as there massive bottles. But I worry if i had an accident or soemthing happened and couldnt get back straight away, they would run out of water etc.. :oops:

Ceramic bowls are pretty hard to throw, and there are also some metal dog dishes that have sloped sides so they are impossible to tip.

Even if you find that those sneaky bunnies are doing something, it's probably impossible to stop the little cuties from wrecking havoc. I definitely suggest using a bowl. :)

My bun Angel (far from the name) can attack any bowl given to her :roll::D

My boy used to pull at the spout of his water bottle...one time i came home and the bottle was empty and the spout on the floor.

I changed to one of the glass water bottles with the spout secure in, much better

My bun Angel (far from the name) can attack any bowl given to her :roll::D

Thats what dreama is like. if she cant actualy pick the bowl up, she rams at it or kicks at it until it flips of flys across cage. Not sure why she does this?

I dont have any heating on at the moment, turned it off some weeks ago :)

Im now on the glass bottles, which is what was emptied yesterday.

I wonder if I used ths velcro stickie pads to hold bowls down better that might work?

Have you tried the bowls that are intended as water/food bowls for birds? so you attach them to the mesh? They might be harder to flip/knock over.

Good luck!

The coup ones, where they sit in a hanger/bracket and hook on?

Ive not seen big ones but will have a look about. Ive small ones for rats, but dont use them as the rats do knock them out lol. Worth a try, thanks xx

Hi
My guinea pigs do this all the time. I've taken to using a kitten litter tray under the water bottles. I line it with newspaper, woodshavings and hay and when the bottle leaks, the water is all contained in the litter tray. It means changing the litter tray every morning but that's better than the whole hutch.

I've also moved over to the bottles with the spring loaded ball bearing in them. This has cut down on leakage a lot.

Hi
My guinea pigs do this all the time. I've taken to using a kitten litter tray under the water bottles. I line it with newspaper, woodshavings and hay and when the bottle leaks, the water is all contained in the litter tray. It means changing the litter tray every morning but that's better than the whole hutch.

I've also moved over to the bottles with the spring loaded ball bearing in them. This has cut down on leakage a lot.

I thought about shoving an extra litter tray under the bottle lol.

Ohh whats these spring loaded ball bearing bottles? Ive never heard of them.

Back