• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rescued Kit!

beblevins

New Kit
I rescued a baby kit from downtown LA (California) whom I believe is about 10days old (he is just beginning to open his eyes). I couldn't bare to leave it there to be taking home by someone unexperienced with rabbits and animals in general knowing it was so young. I've had experience with rabbits from participating in 4-H for about 11 years and am a pre-vet major. However, I have never had the experience of raising a kit from such a young age. I'm trying to nurse him with kitten formula and a nipple on a syringe, but he is not taking to it well. He has already developed his teeth and today has begun to nibble at food (pellets, apples, and romaine lettuce). I am concerned with the animal not taking to the formula. I believe this kit is a dwarf breed, probably mixed, and am wondering how many cc/day the animal should receive and how many times a day it should urinate? The baby is not dehydrated, but knowing how important nutrition is to the animal I want to make sure it receives a good diet. I am also concerned with its poop. The poop is dark, hard, and strung together like a cecotroph. However, I believe its strung together with hair from it's mother. Any other information that would be helpful would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Have you tried contacting local animal shelters etc to see if anyone has a mother with young kits? Hand rearing is not often succesful and the best action is supposed to be finding a surrogate mother.

Would a surrogate be necessary since it's about out of the weaning stage? I've already administered Bene-bac, a probiotic, for the microbials and the animal is beginning to eat solid food.

the mothers immunirt is passed through the milk. if you can get a surrogate mother this would give him the best chance. if you can't continue with the probiotics as long as possibal. i found a bunt syringe was easier tio feed with than the nipple and later they would help them selves from a shallow bowl.

Would a surrogate be necessary since it's about out of the weaning stage? I've already administered Bene-bac, a probiotic, for the microbials and the animal is beginning to eat solid food.

About of the weaning stage? Rabbits aren't fully weaned of milk before they are 6 weeks, not 10 days...

Thanks for the input! I cannot find a surrogate, however, I did find a bunny sanctuary who offered their advice and believe the baby is doing great! They said that the animal seems to have bonded well to me and the only reason the bun was not responding to the milk was the rubber nipple I was using. I am now using a insulin syringe. They also believe that the animal is "more advanced in its development" compared to other kits. Though we do not know its exact age or how long it has been removed from the mother, it seems to be responding well to the alfalfa hay and milk. Thanks again for the input and if anyone has anymore advice let me know!:D

Back