• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Travelling Bunnies

kate_s

Warren Scout
With the summer coming and the credit crunch (boring i know) we've decided not to have a holiday this year! However my mum has a caravan in North Wales so have decided to spend sometime up there instead. Just wondered if many of you often travel with your buns and what the impact may be. The journey is about 45-50 mins but we'd really like Reggie to come with us, he's a house bun and free ranges here and will do the same at the van, i will of course make sure he is fully vac's and always secure up there i just wondered about the travelling aspect. The alternative is to get a house sitter but can be such a pain. Any ideas, suggestions, experiance's please share. Cheers :wave::wave::wave:

Well i havent taken my buns on holiday as they are outside buns i usually get my nan to look after them :lol:
But we do take our dog... budgies and sometimes baby canaries that we raise :love:

if the journey isnt too long then i think it may be ok... but it may stress the bun out... but i havent had any experience so not much help sorry :oops::(
Hope it all goes well xx

I take my bunnies back home when i go visiting. They stay at my mums and love it. she has a garden with grass so they love getting out. they are indoor buns and stay in a large cage in the kitchen and they love having somewhere new to explore and trying to find new things to chew:roll: the journey is about 2 hours and they dont like it but when they arrive they are soon chilled out and happy. I don't go back often, they have gone about 3 times. I guess it depends on the bun.

Reggie is super chilled so i think he'll adapt were prob looking at about once a month...i'd rather he was with us than at home with strangers thats all :)

People adopt bunnies from all over the country and they travel miles. Snowdrop was in the car for abour 90 mins and when we got Strawberry he travelled 3 hours to get to me.

Reggie is super chilled so i think he'll adapt were prob looking at about once a month...i'd rather he was with us than at home with strangers thats all :)

are you going every month then? Why don't you take him first, see how he reacts and go from there and decide whether he loves going away with you or in future have someone look after him.:)

The only time he normally goes in the car is to go to the vets:? so i suppose i could take him to mums etc see how he is...Thanks for the advice x

Not sure if this is helpful or if I actually dreamt it but i'm sure I read (not on here) about a lady with a house rabbit who travelled on the passenger seat of her car. I recall reading that the rabbit got anxious when confined to small spaces and was happy to sit for a journey on the car seat.

Mine travel for that long to the vets! 2 aren't bothered in the slightest the other 2 are ok they do pant at first though.

Ours love coming away with us! And I swear they love their 4ft travel hutch more than their 6ft one :roll:. They regularly come away with us when we visit my parents (3hr trip) and last october they came on holiday to Yorkshire when we stayed in a cottage. They came inside everynight to run around the kitchen. not sure what the cottage owners thought when we asked them if two rabbits could stay :lol:

haha the world thinks us bunny owners are crazy and lets be honest who would blame them....I think given your advice we need to give it a go 45 mins is not that long do you think he should go in an indoor hutch on the back seat or in a proper carrier (i have both)

haha the world thinks us bunny owners are crazy and lets be honest who would blame them....I think given your advice we need to give it a go 45 mins is not that long do you think he should go in an indoor hutch on the back seat or in a proper carrier (i have both)

what will you use at the other end? my pair travel in the carrier with a dark towel over the top and thier cage goes in the boot...

if your going to use the hutch might be a good idea to use it, but be warned Alvin pees when he travels for longer than 10mins so if you bun does it could get quite messy in the hutch :shock:

Reggie just has the base off his old indoor hutch as a base but he is 100 percent free range so having nothing planned other end just same as what we have at home just thought the hutch would give him more space but the carrier would be more secure in the car????

Reggie just has the base off his old indoor hutch as a base but he is 100 percent free range so having nothing planned other end just same as what we have at home just thought the hutch would give him more space but the carrier would be more secure in the car????

im pretty sure Wispa and zola's mum used to use an indoor cage for her pair to travel in... i dont think it really matters as long as they are secure and not loose in the car... ive read dont put them in the boot tho because of the fumes :shock:

Back