• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bullying after op...

charlie82

Mama Doe
Poor teddy had a dental yesterday and had quite a bit of work done, so he's feeling a bit off today. I've always taken Phoebe with him and never had an issue when we came home, however, last night while I was in bed I heard Phoebe running about under and at the time thought nothing of it. This morning she was doing it again, so when I had a look it seems as though she is bullying poor teddy! Whenever he tries to hop around she chases him back to a corner, then the madam sits next to him so that he won't move. They aren't fighting, this morning she chased after him, herded him back and then gave him an 'angry' groom!!!! I'm slightly worried that she is bullying him because he isn't feeling well, or is it her way of trying to 'look after him'. Normally they are utterly devoted to each other. :(

i've had just the same thing happen and i think it's just a dominance thing. My vet even had to seperate them as she was mounting him whilst he was waking frommhis anisthetic!:oops:
She's not daft she knows she can take advantage of Teddy! I did find in a couple of days when my bunny was feeling better things went back to normal. I did have to seperate them for short periods to give him a break!

i've had just the same thing happen and i think it's just a dominance thing. My vet even had to seperate them as she was mounting him whilst he was waking frommhis anisthetic!:oops:
She's not daft she knows she can take advantage of Teddy! I did find in a couple of days when my bunny was feeling better things went back to normal. I did have to seperate them for short periods to give him a break!

Thanks!

Luckily she isn't mounting him... and luckily he's such a laid back bun so I don't think he will retaliate, just don't want him to feel threatened. I think I may let them have some time in seperate rooms just to make sure he is eating ok. Phoebe is such a little witch.

When a bun from my group goes to the vets, I usually take 2 cos obviously can't take all 9. I can't always put the 2 buns back in the group immediately, cos they smell funny & I don't want sick bun bullied, so I often put a dog crate up in the room so sick bun is separate & can rest, but they are all still familiar with each other.

I then re-bond in the garden over a weekend - it's not that neutral as they are all out there 2-3 times a week anyway, but after a minimal amount of chasing, they come back into the bun room - which I have usually disinfected & moved stuff around:D

It's worked every time so far, & I think the only bun who notices is Sugar. She does a bit of bum-biting & humping, then gets bored :lol: Polly & Alfie were actually separate for several months in a different room over the winter when Alfie was ill, but once Polly & Sugar had sorted out their issues & Flint had groomed Alfie like a long lost friend:love:, it was all ok:lol:

Can i ask a question about taking buns to the vets together? Do I need to bring anything like hay for them to eat, say if one is having a dental and the other isnt?

Can i ask a question about taking buns to the vets together? Do I need to bring anything like hay for them to eat, say if one is having a dental and the other isnt?
Yep!

I always take veg, their food and hay. Usually they give them it, but the other day they hadn't given them anything while they were in all day which really :censored: me off. :?

Make sure they give them their usual food.

When a bun from my group goes to the vets, I usually take 2 cos obviously can't take all 9. I can't always put the 2 buns back in the group immediately, cos they smell funny & I don't want sick bun bullied, so I often put a dog crate up in the room so sick bun is separate & can rest, but they are all still familiar with each other.

I then re-bond in the garden over a weekend - it's not that neutral as they are all out there 2-3 times a week anyway, but after a minimal amount of chasing, they come back into the bun room - which I have usually disinfected & moved stuff around:D

It's worked every time so far, & I think the only bun who notices is Sugar. She does a bit of bum-biting & humping, then gets bored :lol: Polly & Alfie were actually separate for several months in a different room over the winter when Alfie was ill, but once Polly & Sugar had sorted out their issues & Flint had groomed Alfie like a long lost friend:love:, it was all ok:lol:

Crikey it must be even more complicated when you have a group! I had thought about bonding my two pairs into a foursome, and if I took them to the vets they could stick them in a dog run as opposed to the small cages. My surgery is getting a new rabbit ward! :lol:

I think it would make it harder to assess Teddy's eating etc, as usually the first sign he needs a dental is actually the sounds he makes when he swallows, he doesn't go off food! so it would probably be best to keep him in my room.

Thanks, I hope your two sort themselves out. It sounds as though she is upset that he is all quiet and not himself... so she is testing him.

Back