• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Yoshi has an abscess

kgattrell

Alpha Buck
Hi

Yoshi has gone to the vets today after anti-biotics failed to treat his abscess, the vet said it was worse than she first thought. They thought initially it would be soft tissue but it was the size of a small plum. They have taken 70% of it out but there is a remaining 30% left near the jaw, they have packed the wound with anti-biotics to try and treat the remaining abscess left but its 50/50 diagnosis.
Has anybody's rabbit had this and pulled through if not how long after diagnosis did things start to take a turn for the worse..
I'm in work today and can't stop crying - how stupid hey

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Tina

Hiya,

my rabbit Nosey had an jaw abscess not long ago, read my thread Abscess advice please. Unfortunately the abscess has affected the jaw bone so it's not completely healed and he has to be on antibiotic injections long term to controll the infection. He is fine though, eating, drinking, playing, so they can live with it! The thing he hated most was getting the abscess flushed every day until the puss was gone. Good luck with your bunny, I hope he gets better soon!

Anne

Thanks, I had noticed there was a thread but to be honest I was a bit afraid to look just in case it was not what I wanted to read...

Thats good, I'm glad Nosey is doing well. Fingers crossed for Yoshi at least I might be able to start looking at things a bit more positively instead of worse case scenario.. Thanks ( I might stop being able to burst into tears every five mins now)

My lovely rabbit Daisy, who I lost recently - not from an abcess -(she was 9) had three of these sort of abcesses in her life. They were all around her jaw and one went into her dewlap. Vet was very good - he made sure he got out as much as he could and then she had to have it flushed. He put in a piece of material to keep the wound open, so it didn't heal up immediately to enable the 'flushing' of the puss to go on for as long as possible. She had quite high and long doses of baytril at those times and every time she recovered fully and went completely back to normal.

Hope your bun is okay x

Last edited:
I've just got back from the vets, Yoshi has had something to eat which is good. He has to go back tomorrow for a check up then in a weeks time when she will give him an antibiotic injection. Then we have to take it one step at a time, they are not sure if its in the bone but treating him as if it is. Hopefully they can get on top of it..

At least now he's home I'm feeling a bit better. Why do they tug our heartstrings so much..

Thanks for al the encouraging messages, it has helped a lot

I've just got back from the vets, Yoshi has had something to eat which is good. He has to go back tomorrow for a check up then in a weeks time when she will give him an antibiotic injection. Then we have to take it one step at a time, they are not sure if its in the bone but treating him as if it is. Hopefully they can get on top of it..

At least now he's home I'm feeling a bit better. Why do they tug our heartstrings so much..

Thanks for al the encouraging messages, it has helped a lot

Aww, hope he is okay x

I am glad Yoshi is home now and eating that's a good sign. Yes, try and stay positive, I know it's hard, I found it very nervewrecking cleaning the abscess and all and not knowing if it would help but he's doing well! Love the name Yoshi btw, one of my guinea pigs is called Yoshi :).

HI there, Yoshi had his check up yesterday with Naomi (our vet) she was glad there was no swelling in his wound gave him another pain injection and an injection to help get his gut moving. He is only eating the treats not his proper food at the moment and he's just staying in his cage. So hopefully he will start getting up and about soon x (fingers crossed). Naomi stiched the wound closed with anti-biotics packed inside it to hopefully get the remaining 30%. Yoshi has to go back in a week to start his every 3 day anti-biotics course and then we will take it from there. I am remaining positive at the moment thanks to everyones comments - so I thank everyone who has taken the time to write. I'll keep you updated on how he is going..

Back