• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Small poos and hardly eating - advice? (Jane)

Becky86

Wise Old Thumper
Dandelions poos have been tiny for over a week now. I thought it was due to too many Excel pellets, so lowered them and offered them more hay. They normally have more pellets than the other bunnies, as we had problems with their weight when they first came in and theyre not exactly big now so being poorly isnt an option for these girlies.

Anyway, yesterday we went to the vets and the vet gave her a good check, her teeth are fine, belly was a little swollen and he could feel some hard poos in there. He gave us Lactulose (sp?) 2ml, twice a day. Her first dose was last night.

I feed veg of an evening, and this morning none of the veg was gone :( All still there as normal, though the pellets had been touched. She seemed to be hopping round as normal and came to greet us as normal.

Im stuck at Wolverhampton at the moment at Dads work, no phone as ive washed it :roll: Will be home around 5pm, just hoping she will be ok :( I did pick lots of dandelions this morning so we shall see if they have been touched.

Any advice? Thanks in advance :) xXx

Well she could probably do with some pain relief for a start.
Small poos over a period of a week indicates definate reduced gut motility.
It sounds as though this has now progressed to ileus.
Lactulose is an osmotic laxative and works by drawing water into the bowel.
But if the GI tract is not moving things along (due to ileus) Lactulose alone wont do much good.
If an obstructive ileus has been excluded then a prokinetic eg Metoclopromide is needed. Zantac (Ranitidine) would be useful too as it speeds up gastric emptying and has a similar pharmacological action as Cisipride (Prepulsid) which is hard to obtain now as it was withdrawn from sale for humans.
Fluid therapy is another essential in treating ileus and this should include both oral and subcutaneous/IV fluids.
If she is still not eating/pooing when you get home I'd take her straight back to the Vet.

Good luck

xx

May be worth seeing who is on tomorrow, as if it's you know who, you may better to pop back tonight.

I agree 100% with all of the above, I lost my Toshi bun to a problem which started like this... make sure your bun drinks a lot to keep the poops inside hydrated. And ask for a conscious xray so they can see what's going on. There maybe impaction/blockage.

Keep pushing the vet for the meds and treatment Jane has advised. I wasted so much time being fobbed off with being told it was only a minor prob with my bunny - and it turned out to be the opposite. I really don't want to alarm you, I just hope that mentioning this can make sure your bunny gets the correct treatment onboard as soon as possible.

Good Luck and loads of healthly poo and good appetite vibes x x

I have to take Sherry down today and it's you know who today and tomorrow, Mike is on Saturday. Sadly Sherry can't wait. Go if you have to and you feel it won't wait till Saturday.

I don't believe this! They've just gone on reserve :shock:

:shock::shock::shock::shock:

What did i say?!? :lol: With the fur messy after me being a bad foster mummy, and now the tummy problems :shock: It was just... obvious they would get reserved :lol: Lets hope it works out for them though :love:

Thanks ever so much Jane, i knew you'd be able to help hence the FAO :) You ought to be a vet! Mike, the vet is very good... he did say if it goes on for more than 24-48 hours with the lactulose alone to take them back. However, if the silly vet who knows nothing about bunnies is on theres no point as he will just send us on our way :cry:

When i got home, they had ate all their dandelion leaves, and half the bowl of veg had been eaten so :thumb: Its not as much as they normally eat which is worrying... Dandelion is also getting very stressed with me giving her the Lactulose, she bit me when i gave it her just, which she has never done the whole time shes been here :(

I will update tomorrow :) Thanks again everyone :) xXx

I have to take Sherry down today and it's you know who today and tomorrow, Mike is on Saturday. Sadly Sherry can't wait. Go if you have to and you feel it won't wait till Saturday.

Is Sherry ok? :( Poor girly xXx

Sherry has mastitis so we have to stop the puppies feeding from her and go back to doing 2 hourly feeds. Going to be a long couple of weeks :( had to see you know who, but he was actually ok, he did jump a mile when he yapped in the waiting room though :lol:

As for the buns, Mike is thre Saturday. I don't need to do a homecheck on the person who wants them, so I'm not sure what to do now :?

Back